As an epidemiologist and public health expert, he has a longstanding interest in the preventable causes of chronic disease, particularly among women.
Professor Colditz, says over half of all cancers are can be prevented by a combination of healthy lifestyles and regular screening. Here are eight simple behaviours can greatly lower cancer risk:
1. Maintain a healthy weight
2. Exercise regularly
3. Don’t smoke
4. Eat a healthy diet
5. Drink alcohol in moderation, if at all
6. Protect yourself from the sun
7. Protect yourself from infections
8. Get screening tests regularly
Dart, MS Hank, Colditz, MD, DrPH Graham. Cancer Prevention: Simple Steps Can Have Big Benefits [Internet]. Version 1. Prevention Papers. 2009 Feb 20. Available from: http://preventionpapers.wordpress.com/article/cancer-prevention-bzml3lsg-samgog/.