6 Best CBD Oil For Dogs With Anxiety – 2023 Exclusive Coupons
All articles are produced independently. When you click our links for purchasing products, we earn an affiliate commission. Learn more about how we earn revenue by reading our advertise disclaimer.
Honest Paws CBD Oil
- Wide range of high-quality products
- Made with organic full-spectrum CBD
- Third-party tested for safety and quality
Free shipping & 20% Off Coupon: HEALTHCANAL
- Organic broad-spectrum CBD oil
- Completely free from THC
- Available in treats and oil tincture
20% Off Coupon: HEALTHCANAL
Though anxiety is one of the most common forms of mental illness seen in humans, we don’t often think of it as something that affects dogs. Dogs have a natural instinct to hide their pain, so the outward symptoms of discomfort may not be immediately apparent. In many cases, changes in behavior are the first obvious sign that something is wrong.
If your dog hides under the bed during thunderstorms, avoids interacting with unfamiliar people, or becomes very stressed when left at home alone, it may be more than just a personality quirk – it could be anxiety. Anxiety in dogs is fairly common. In fact, some dogs are genetically predisposed to anxiety while others become anxious due to experiences during development.
When considering treatment for your dog’s symptoms, don’t jump straight to medication. Like any medication, these drugs have the potential for side effects so it is worth thinking about a natural alternative like CBD. This article has everything you need to know.
Best CBD Oil & Treat Products For Calm Anxious Dogs (May. 2023)
- Honest Paws CBD Oil – Editor’s Choice
- Joy Organics – Best Overall
- Honest Paws Dog Treat – Best Quality
- Spruce CBD – Most Palatable
- CBD Pure – Best For Budget
- Holistapet CBD Oil For Dogs -Best Organic CBD
CBD Dog Treats For Anxiety
CBD treatments are typically derived from hemp oil and often take the form of a liquid tincture. Dosing CBD oils can be tricky because the concentration varies from one product to another and some conditions require a stronger dose to be effective. For concerns like general wellness and anxiety, many dogs can respond to just a small dose of CBD.
If you’re concerned about dealing with the hassle of dosing liquid CBD oils, you may want to consider dog treats as an alternative. CBD dog treats typically contain between 2mg and 5mg of cannabidiol per treat and they are easy to dose – just give your pup 1 to 3 treats according to their body weight as recommended in the instructions.
Read on to learn more about CBD dog treats and CBD oils for dog anxiety.
Top 6 Best CBD Oils for Dogs with Anxiety 2023
Honest Paws CBD Oil
Dog anxiety can be unpredictable but the quality of Honest Paws CBD oil for dogs is unwavering. Specifically formulated for dogs with anxiety, this recipe contains soothing chamomile in addition to premium CBD.
- High-quality full-spectrum CBD
- Three concentrations by body weigh
- Third-party tested for safety and quality
- Can be tricky to find the right dosage with liquid CBD
- Only one flavor option
Dogs with anxiety can be triggered by anything from thunder to car rides. If your dog suffers from nervousness, CBD oil may be able to help. Honest Paws offers a formula specifically designed to calm your dog’s nerves and it comes in three concentrations for dogs of different sizes. In addition to premium broad-spectrum CBD oil, this recipe contains soothing chamomile to stabilize your dog’s mood and support healthy brain function.
In addition to providing high-quality products, Honest Paws makes an effort to keep its prices affordable as well. Pricing varies depending on the concentration of the product, but you can save 15% immediately simply by starting an auto-refill order. Shipping is free on orders over $49.95 and you’ll receive a 30-day money-back guarantee on everything.
While CBD has the potential to provide a variety of health benefits for dogs, THC can be dangerous. If you’re worried about the intoxicating effects of THC, try Joy Organics – all of their products are completely THC-free.
- Made with broad-spectrum organic CBD
- Completely free from THC
- Available in CBD oil and dog treats
- Dosing CBD oils can be tricky
- Only two products to choose from
Dogs with anxiety often benefit from a low dose of CBD which can be administered as a liquid tincture or through dog treats. The trouble with some products is that they may contain up to 0.3% THC by weight. If you want to give your furry friend the benefits of CBD without worrying about the side effects of THC, you can trust Joy Organics.
Joy Organics offers two products for pets – CBD oil and dog treats. Their dog treats contain 2mg CBD per treat and are made with water-soluble CBD powder to maximize bioavailability. Choose from two concentrations of CBD oil (225mg or 450mg) and rest easy knowing your pup is getting premium lab-tested CBD and all the benefits it has to offer.
Honest Paws Dog Treats
20% Off Coupon: HEALTHCANAL
Honest Paws treats are a convenient alternative – simply give your dog the recommended number of treats according to its body weight.
- Made with organic full-spectrum hemp oil
- Available in crunchy treats or soft bites
- Easy to administer by body weight
- Can be expensive, especially for larger dogs
- Some dogs may not like the flavor options
Honest Paws dog treats are made with organic, full-spectrum hemp oil that contains naturally occurring CBD. There are two types of treats and several recipes to choose from, but when it comes to anxiety relief, you have two options. Honest Paws Calm Soft Chews are chewy treats that come in a poultry flavor while Honest Paws Calm Bites are a little bit crunchier and have a peanut butter flavor.
What makes Honest Paws such a great choice is the fact that their products are held to the highest standards for quality and safety. Not only do they use high-quality CBD, but many of their other ingredients are organic. In fact, Honest Paws Calm Bites feature wholesome grains like organic oats and organic barley with flavor from organic peanut butter.
Free Shipping and 15% Off Coupon: HEALTHCANAL
Some CBD products are loaded with artificial flavors and unnecessary additives but Spruce CBD is different. Made with coconut oil instead of hemp seed oil without any added flavors, this is high-quality CBD pure and simple.
- Full spectrum organic CBD oil
- Human lab-grade, third-party tested
- Highly concentrated formula (750mg)
- May be too strong for some dogs
- More expensive than other options
Dogs have a reputation for eating anything and everything – except for the things you want them to eat. Many pet owners struggle to give their dogs medication and supplements, often because they don’t have an appealing flavor or texture. Rather than choosing CBD products loaded with unnatural flavors, consider an unflavored oil like Spruce CBD.
Spruce CBD uses the same human-grade full-spectrum organic CBD oil in their CBD oil for dogs, so you can be sure it’s of the highest quality. While many CBD oils are made with hemp seed carrier oil, Spruce CBD uses coconut oil. This ingredient tends to be gentler on a dog’s stomach and it has a milder taste – there are no other flavorings added.
If your dog suffers from anxiety, CBD oil may be the gentle, natural solution you’ve been looking for. CBDPet 100 from CBDPure comes in a gentle concentration of 100mg and is affordably priced under $25 per bottle.
- Natural and organically grown CBD oil
- Backed by 90-day money-back guarantee
- Affordable pricing, save on larger orders
- Dosing instructions are a little bit vague
Pet CBD products can be very expensive, and some pet owners want to make sure the CBD works before spending a lot of money on it. If you’re looking for an affordable CBD oil to help relieve your dog’s nervousness, try CBDPet 100 from CBDPure. Priced under $25 for a single bottle, you can save up to $5 per bottle if you like it and decide to make a larger order.
All CBDPure products are made with natural and organically grown hemp and feature a natural hemp flavor. You can rest assured that their pet oils are held to the same exacting standards as their products for humans, and everything is backed by a 90-day money-back guarantee.
Holistapet CBD Oil For Dogs
15% Off Coupon: HEALTHCANAL
CBDfx is one of the few companies that has high-quality broad-spectrum CBD oil tinctures available for your pet. It’s easy to find the best dosage for your pet in a flavor they’ll love.
- A large range of organic CBD concentrations is available
- The brand has an advisory board made up of veterinary professionals
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Conflicting information about CBD type on Holistapet’s website
- Expensive CBD product
Holistapet is a pet wellness company that is dedicated to providing natural remedies to resolve pet discomforts.
All of their products are third-party lab-tested, vegan, non-GMO, gluten-free, dairy-free, and made with 100% natural ingredients. Holistapet even has a board of Veterinary Advisors to help guide the development of their products.
Holistapet stands out by having five different potencies of their CBD Oil for Dogs & Cats available:
- 150 mg CBD for small pets under 20 lbs, 5 mg CBD per serving
- 300 mg CBD for medium-sized pets 20-60 lbs, 10 mg CBD per serving
- 600 mg CBD for large pets 60-100 lbs, 10 mg CBD per serving
- 1200 mg CBD for extra large pets 100-160 lbs, 40 mg CBD per serving
- 3000 mg CBD for pets over 160 lbs, 50 mg CBD per serving
There is some conflicting information on the product page concerning whether their products contain full-spectrum or broad-spectrum CBD oil. After calling Holistapet’s customer service line, it was confirmed that Holistapet uses full-spectrum CBD oil.
CBD or Hemp Oil for Dog Anxiety
What Is Hemp Oil?
The term hemp is often used interchangeably with cannabis because that is the name of the plant from which it is derived. Marijuana is the same plant as hemp as well, the primary difference between any of them is the content of THC versus CBD.
Tetrahydrocannabinol or THC is the psychoactive compound for which marijuana is known. Hemp plants contain no more than 0.3% THC by dry weight whereas marijuana contains between 5% and 20%. Cannabidiol or CBD is one of the other primary compounds in cannabis and is more highly concentrated in dried hemp and hemp oil.
Can CBD Oil Help Dogs With Anxiety?
Numerous research studies support the use of CBD for the management of anxiety as well as chronic pain, inflammation, and even seizures in humans. Unfortunately, scientific data regarding the use of hemp and CBD oils for pets is still fairly limited.
While veterinary research supports the use of CBD for serious conditions like epilepsy, osteoarthritis, and even cancer, experts have yet to determine whether it is truly an effective treatment for anxiety. It’s always best to follow your veterinarian’s advice when dealing with health issues, especially chronic issues that may require daily management.
How To Choose Hemp CBD Products
Hemp is a natural ingredient, so it’s fairly common to see hemp and CBD oils labeled as “all-natural.” As a pet owner, however, it’s your responsibility to take your pet’s safety seriously and to dig a little deeper to determine the quality of anything you plan to administer.
When shopping for CBD oils, it’s important to look for full-spectrum hemp, ideally organically grown. Hemp generally contains less than 0.3% THC anyway, but it doesn’t hurt to make sure the THC content of the oil is low – some brands even offer THC-free formulas. Check to be sure the product has been lab-tested, ideally by a third party, and look for money-back guarantees.
Don’t be drawn in by free shipping offers and discounts unless the item itself is actually good! It’s not worth risking your pet’s health to save a few dollars.
Are There Any Side Effects?
As a responsible pet owner, your primary concern is keeping your pet safe and healthy. If your pup struggles with nervousness and is particularly prone to stress, talk to your veterinarian about the options for management. Keep in mind that while CBD often has fewer negative effects than prescription medications, they are still possible.
Based on the effects seen in humans, some pets taking CBD may experience dry mouth, drowsiness, or a temporary drop in blood pressure. Pet nutrition experts like Dr. John Buchweitz, section chief of Toxicology and Nutrition at the Michigan State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, suggest that CBD may interact with other drugs of similar nature. Talk to your vet before giving your pet CBD, especially if they’re already on some kind of medication.
Though there may not be a wealth of scientific evidence to prove the benefits of CBD for pets who are anxious, many pet owners have experienced positive outcomes with CBD. If you’re considering it for your own dog, try one of the brands we’ve reviewed above.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most CBD products recommend once or twice daily doses, so it depends on which product you choose. Follow the dosing instructions to make sure your dog doesn’t get more than he needs.
Maybe. Scientific evidence supporting the benefits of CBD in pets is limited, particularly for minor conditions like anxiety. Anecdotal evidence is the most common and there are many pet owners who say CBD helped their pets.
When using CBD in combination with anti-anxiety medications, it’s always important to check for possible interactions. Make sure to tell your vet everything your dog is taking and get their okay before you give your dog anything new.
There is no standard dosage for CBD – it depends on the concentration of the product and your dog’s body weight. Refer to the dosing instructions on the label and bring up specific questions with your veterinarian.
+ 9 sources
Health Canal avoids using tertiary references. We have strict sourcing guidelines and rely on peer-reviewed studies, academic researches from medical associations and institutions. To ensure the accuracy of articles in Health Canal, you can read more about the editorial process here
- Danielle Engel. 2016. CUES TO PET’S PAIN MAY BE SUBTLE. Available from: https://vetmed.illinois.edu/pet_column/cues-pets-pain/
- Sarah Netherton. 2013. CONTEXT IS CRITICAL WHEN TREATING ANXIETY IN DOGS. Available from: https://vetmed.illinois.edu/pet_column/context-critical-treating-anxiety-dogs/
- Lynne Graham, Deborah L Wells, Peter G Hepper. 2005. The influence of olfactory stimulation on the behaviour of dogs housed in a rescue shelter. Available from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0168159104001972
- Matt Shipman. 2019. Is Hemp The Same Thing As Marijuana?
- Peter Grinspoon. 2018. Cannabidiol (CBD) — what we know and what we don’t. Available from: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/cannabidiol-cbd-what-we-know-and-what-we-dont-2018082414476
- Stephanie McGrath, Lisa R Bartner. 2019. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. Available from: https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.254.11.1301
- Lauri-Jo Gamble, Jordyn M Boesch, Christopher W Frye. 2018. Pharmacokinetics, Safety, and Clinical Efficacy of Cannabidiol Treatment in Osteoarthritic Dogs. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6065210/
- Chase Gross, Dominique Ramirez, Peter Dickinson, Daniel Gustafson, Stephanie McGrath. 2020. Cannabidiol Induces Apoptosis and Perturbs Mitochondrial Function in both Human and Canine Glioma Cells. Available from: https://faseb.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1096/fasebj.2020.34.s1.04176
- John Buchweitz. 2020. Canines and Cannabis—Is CBD Safe for Your Pet?