The article is a subjective view on this topic written by writers specializing in medical writing.
It may reflect on a personal journey surrounding struggles with an illness or medical condition, involve product comparisons, diet considerations, or other health-related opinions.
Although the view is entirely that of the writer, it is based on academic experiences and scientific research they have conducted; it is fact-checked by a team of degreed medical experts, and validated by sources attached to the article.
The numbers in parenthesis (1,2,3) will take you to clickable links to related scientific papers.
Best Energy Bars 2023: Top 7 Picks To Fuel Your Energy
All articles are produced independently. When you click our links for purchasing products, we earn an affiliate commission. Learn more about how we earn revenue by reading our advertise disclaimer.
Transparent Labs UNCUT Protein Bars
- Natural ingredients.
- High calorie.
Jacked Factory Authentic Bar
- Various flavors.
- Research-backed ingredients.
- Natural ingredients.
Quest Bar Hero Bars
- Low sugar and net carbs.
- Five delicious flavors
Many products promise energy, immunity, and a brain power boost in the health and wellness industry. Among the many are energy bars like the Quest Bars we will highlight later on.
These products promise a quick energy boost after consumption. But with so many types in the market, how do you choose the best one?
With some research and the right knowledge, you can find a tasty bar that will meet your specific needs and taste preferences.
Keep reading for everything you need to know about energy bars. We’ll also go through seven of the best energy bars in the market.
7 Best Energy Bars On The Market In September,2023
- Transparent Labs UNCUT Protein Bars – Editor’s Choice
- Jacked Factory Authentic Bar – Best Simple Formula Energy Bar
- Quest Bar Hero Bars – Best Tasting Energy Bars
- Orgain Organic Protein Bar – Best Budget-Friendly Energy Bars
- Bulletproof Collagen Protein Bar – Best Keto-Friendly Energy Bars
- RXBAR Protein Bars – Best Flavor Options Energy Bars
- Larabar Original Fruit & Nut Bar – Best Least Processed Ingredients Energy Bars
What Is An Energy Bar?
Energy bars, also known as protein bars or simply power bars, are a popular and convenient way to fuel the human body. These bars are portable and easy-to-eat snacks that can provide the body with a boost of energy as well as a host of essential nutrients.
They are made with various ingredients, including protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats, which can help support muscle growth and repair and provide sustained energy throughout the day.
They are frequently advertised to athletes, active people, and anyone searching for a quick snack alternative to complement their overall health and fitness goals.
Energy bars offer a convenient and broad range of options for different needs, tastes, and dietary restrictions, including gluten-free, those looking for a quick energy boost, and meal replacement bars.
7 Best Energy Bars You Must Try In 2023
The first natural energy bar on our list is the Transparent Labs UNCUT energy bar, with 280 calories and an outstanding balance of carbs, proteins, and fats. It is available in two flavors; chocolate chip and chocolate coffee, and is among the best energy bars for athletes.
- High-quality natural ingredients.
- Balanced macronutrients.
- Free of artificial additives.
- Nutritious and guilt-free.
- It may contain shellfish fragments.
- Only available on the brand’s official site.
Unlike other energy bars or protein bars on the market, the Transparent Labs UNCUT energy bar is made with only the best whole-food ingredients to ensure optimal nutrition. Each energy bar delivers 280 calories and 16 g of protein.
This energy bar is made without artificial sweeteners, fatty creamers, palm kernel oil, soy protein, or sugar alcohol. It instead contains nutritious ingredients like roasted almonds, 100% whey protein isolate, and natural honey for a tasty and healthy option to enjoy anytime.
Compared to other energy bars and protein bars on the market, the Transparent Labs UNCUT energy bar is one of the best in terms of taste and nutrition. This is hands down among the best energy bars for hiking, cycling, and other sports.
Jacked Factory Authentic Bar
Authentic Bars are protein bars made with high-quality ingredients and specifically formulated to provide a good balance of macronutrients.
- Use high-quality, natural food ingredients.
- Products provide a good balance of macronutrients.
- Uses pure whey protein isolate.
- No artificial sweeteners or sugar alcohols are used.
- It may contain shellfish.
This product is made of whey protein, almonds, and natural honey. Using whey protein isolate in these energy bars provides 15 g of protein. This is a satisfying option for people looking to increase their protein intake.
Whey protein isolate is a pure, complete protein containing all essential amino acids for growth and repair, easy to digest, and quickly absorbed. It is ideal for athletes and those pursuing weight management.
Using real almond butter and honey as ingredients in these bars makes them a healthy source of macronutrients such as healthy fats and carbs, making them a more nutritious and sustainable option.
They have avoided using soy protein and artificial sweeteners or sugar alcohols, often used in processed foods to sweeten them without adding calories but may also negatively impact health.
A pack of 12 bars goes for $29.99, and they are available in seven flavors: birthday cake, kitchen sink, chocolate chip cookie dough, peanut butter pieces, peanut butter candy, cookie crumble, and s’mores.
The Quest Nutrition Hero Bars are a delicious and convenient collection of high-protein snack bars in five mouth-watering flavors: chocolate peanut butter, cookies, and cream,…
- Low sugar and net carbs.
- Convenient and balanced macronutrient snack.
- They contain milk and soy.
- The batches are made in facilities that also handle tree nuts and peanuts.
Each flavor offers a unique taste experience, from the crispy and chewy chocolate peanut butter core to the soft and moist blueberry cobbler topping.
The protein blend in all these flavors is a blend of milk protein isolate and whey protein isolate, providing a complete profile of essential amino acids (i.e. protein-building blocks).
The Blueberry Cobbler flavor is the perfect balance of sweet and savory, with 160 calories, 1 gram of sugar, 16 g of protein, and 3 g of net carbohydrates per bar.
The bar is a bite into a soft, chewy core topped with a delectable blueberry-flavored topping. All are encased in a coating of sweet white chocolate.
The chocolate peanut butter flavor offers a satisfying crunch, packed with a crispy and chewy core filled with rich and creamy peanut butter while still being low in sugar at just 1 g per bar, 18 g protein, and 3 g net carbs.
Each 12-pack of Quest Nutrition Hero Bars box costs $33.48 and is a convenient, tasty, and nutritious on-the-go snack, providing a balanced macronutrient intake with each bite.
The Organic Protein Bar is an affordable and nutritious option for those looking for a plant-based, high-protein snack.
- High in organic plant-based protein.
- Convenient and clean source of nourishment.
- Gluten-free, kosher, vegan, non-genetically modified organism and USDA organic certified.
- Some people might not like the taste of these vegan bars.
- They may contain tree nuts.
- Made without soy, dairy, and lactose ingredients.
The Organic Protein Bars are available in five flavors: chocolate chip cookie dough, chocolate brownie, peanut butter, peanut butter chocolate chunk, and s’mores.
With 10 g of organic plant-based protein per bar and only 150 calories, these bars provide a convenient and clean source of nourishment for any time of the day. The primary protein sources are brown rice and pea protein. They can be enjoyed as a mid-day snack, a pre-workout boost, or even in children’s lunchboxes.
Not only are these bars organic, but they are also gluten-free, kosher, high in protein, vegan, non-GMO, and USDA-certified organic. They are also made without soy, dairy, and lactose ingredients, making them accessible for people who are lactose intolerant, gluten-free or vegan.
Overall, the Organic Protein Bar is a delicious, nutritious, and accessible option for those looking for a high-protein, plant-based snack.
The Bulletproof Protein Crisp bars are a keto-friendly, delicious and nutritious option for those looking for a high-protein snack.
- Keto-friendly and made with medium-chain triglycerides oil.
- High in protein.
- Low in sugar.
- Low net carbs.
- Higher in cost.
- Contains almonds and peanuts.
The Peanut butter chocolate chip, a standout favorite, contains 11 grams of plant protein, 4 grams of net carbs, and only one gram of sugar per bar. Its primary protein type is pea protein.
The texture of these bars is soft and chewy, with added protein crisps and nut pieces for a perfect crunch that adds some texture. The peanut butter and peanuts used in these bars are specially sourced and tested to meet strict EU compliance for toxins.
One of the standout features of these bars is the rich, nutty flavor combination of peanut butter and chocolate chips, making it a favorite approach to on-the-go fuel. The other three flavors are gluten-free and similarly formulated for low sugar and high protein.
The Coconut Chocolate Chip flavor features a fresh coconut flavor, and the Chocolate Mint Chip flavor offers a satisfying, nutty chocolate base with a refreshing, light minty flavor.
Lastly, the Salted Caramel flavor is a sweet caramel balanced by a hint of sea salt and nutty almond flavor, making each bite a unique experience.
With each box of 12 bars costing $35.98, these bars are on the higher end of the brands we have covered. Still, it might be worth the extra expense for those who prioritize taste, quality, and nutrition.
RXBAR Protein Bars
RXBARs are a delicious, nutritious, and affordable option for those looking for a quick and easy protein source devoid of any preservatives and additives.
- Bundle options are available at a discount.
- Kosher and gluten-free.
- High in protein.
- Bars contain eggs and cashews.
- The bars may contain tree nuts and peanuts.
RXBARs are an excellent option for those looking for a simple, protein-packed snack on the go. In varying quantities, these bars are made with just a few clean ingredients, including egg whites, almonds, cashews, and dates.
This product is free from preservatives and additives, making it a clean, natural option for those looking for a quick source of protein.
They are perfect for breakfast, a quick snack, or pre/post-workout fuel. One of the best things about this brand is the variety of flavors available, with over 10 options.
The brand also offers a bundle option, where you can purchase multiple flavors at once for a discounted price, making it a convenient and budget-friendly option. Each bar retails for $27.99, and a variety pack of 30 bars costs $64.99.
Larabar Original Fruit & Nut Bar
For those seeking a straightforward and delectable energy bar made with whole fruits, nuts, and spices, LARABAR® is a fantastic choice. Their Original Fruit & Nut BarTM is a gluten-free combination of unsweetened dried fruits, nuts, and spices.
- Made with simple, whole ingredients.
- Minimally processed and close to a natural state.
- Variety of delicious flavors.
- The protein content is relatively low.
- Calorie counts vary.
- They contain added sugars.
The brand boasts a wide variety of flavors, and what stands out is how genuine and natural the flavor of each bar is. For example, the upside-down pineapple cake has a strong, genuine pineapple taste that you will love.
The bars are also non-GMO, gluten-free, vegan, dairy, and soy-free. Some are also kosher.
However, one downside is that the protein content in most of these energy bars is relatively low, ranging from 4 to 6 grams, making them less suitable as a primary source of protein.
The calorie counts also vary, with some bars being 180 calories and others being 210 calories. Another downside is that these bars have added sugars, and some contain allergens such as peanuts and other nut products.
In conclusion, LÄRABAR® is an excellent option for a simple and natural energy bar with various flavors. Still, the protein and calorie content may not be sufficient for all, and nut allergies should be considered.
How Do Energy Bars Impact Your Body?
Energy bars can impact the body in several ways, depending on the specific ingredients they contain and the individual’s dietary needs and goals.
Offer An Energy Boost
Generally, the best energy bars will provide a steady energy source without causing a spike in blood sugar levels. Energy bars that contain a balance of carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats will help to sustain energy levels for extended periods.
Offer Nutritional Benefits
Some bars contain nut butter, such as almond butter or peanut butter, a good source of healthy fats. Dried fruit such as apricots, cranberries, and dates are a quality source of natural sugars and antioxidants.
Generally, they offer the body proteins, carbs, vitamins, and minerals.
Offer Muscle Building And Repairing
Protein is an essential nutrient that helps to build and repair muscle tissue, and many energy bars include whey protein as an ingredient. This can be especially beneficial for athletes and active individuals who need to support their muscle recovery.
Why Eat An Energy Bar?
Energy bars may be used for specific reasons just as you may seek dietary supplements for certain reasons. Of course, the number one reason people would eat an energy bar is to enjoy the taste and flavor. The other reasons are:
They Act As A Meal Replacement
Energy bars formulated as meal replacements have more calories and nutrients, making them more filling. They are a good option for on-the-go meals and for busy people with limited time for meal preparation.
They Help Athletes Reach Their Dietary Needs
For specific activities like hiking, cycling, or running, look for energy bars formulated to meet those needs. For instance, the energy bars for hiking have more carbs for sustained energy and more protein for muscle recovery.
For Weight Management
Energy bars can also be helpful for people trying to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight. Many energy bars are low in calories and fiber, which can help control appetite and prevent overeating.
They can be used as a meal replacement or snack option for those trying to limit their calorie intake.
Energy bars are a quick, easy-to-consume, portable, and convenient source of nutrition and energy for people who are always on the go. Frequently balanced carbohydrates, protein, and fats are a wise choice to keep energy levels up.
What To Look For In The Best Energy Bars?
When looking for the best energy bars for cycling, working out, or for a simple energy boost, it’s essential to pay attention to the following factors:
- Protein: The best energy bars should have at least 7 grams of protein, like whey, plant proteins, or nut butter, for longer-lasting fullness and muscle recovery.
- Nutrients: A quality energy bar should balance carbohydrates, healthy fats, and protein and contain natural ingredients such as seeds, nuts, and dried fruit for added vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Natural sugars: Avoid energy bars that contain high amounts of added sugars. Instead, look for bars that use natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup.
- Healthy fats: Look for energy bars that contain healthy fats, such as nuts, seeds, and nut butter, which will help to keep you feeling full and satisfied.
- Natural ingredients: Avoid bars that contain artificial ingredients, preservatives, and fillers. Instead, look for bars made with natural, whole-food ingredients like nuts, seeds, dried fruit, and honey.
- Overall ingredients list: having a shorter list of ingredients is a good indicator of the product being natural and less processed. You could also look for organic, non-GMO, gluten-free certification as they are usually a good indicator of a healthier energy bar.
Also, check the serving size and total calories; consider if it’s a small snack or meal replacement. Read customer reviews for product understanding. Remember that taste is subjective, so consider multiple sources for better understanding.
Energy bars provide quick, accessible energy and nutrition if you’re often on the go, are an athlete, or are a physically active individual. And when selecting the best, choose bars with natural, whole-food ingredients and check the nutritional information for healthy options.
Remember that energy bars should not replace a balanced diet and should be used as a supplement. Finally, consider reading reviews and ingredient lists to make the best purchase decision.
Frequently Asked Questions
An energy bar is considered nutritious if it balances protein, carbohydrates, healthy fats, and natural ingredients like dried fruit, nuts, and seeds that provide essential vitamins and minerals without high-added sugars and artificial ingredients.
It’s crucial to avoid bars that contain high amounts of added sugars, preservatives, artificial ingredients, and fillers.
They can support muscle recovery and growth, control appetite, and help maintain or increase energy levels before, during, or after exercise. They should be consumed in moderation and as part of a balanced diet.
Energy bars are best consumed as a convenient source of energy and nutrition, before, during, or after exercise, or as a meal replacement or snack. They should still be consumed in moderation and as part of a whole food-based, balanced diet.
+ 4 sources
Health Canal avoids using tertiary references. We have strict sourcing guidelines and rely on peer-reviewed studies, academic researches from medical associations and institutions. To ensure the accuracy of articles in Health Canal, you can read more about the editorial process here
- West, D., Abou Sawan, S., Mazzulla, M., Williamson, E. and Moore, D. (2017). Whey Protein Supplementation Enhances Whole Body Protein Metabolism and Performance Recovery after Resistance Exercise: A Double-Blind Crossover Study. Nutrients, [online] 9(7), p.735. doi:10.3390/nu9070735.
- Church, D.D., Hirsch, K.R., Park, S., Kim, I.-Y., Gwin, J.A., Pasiakos, S.M., Wolfe, R.R. and Ferrando, A.A. (2020). Essential Amino Acids and Protein Synthesis: Insights into Maximizing the Muscle and Whole-Body Response to Feeding. Nutrients, [online] 12(12), p.3717. doi:10.3390/nu12123717.
- Kalman, D. (2014). Amino Acid Composition of an Organic Brown Rice Protein Concentrate and Isolate Compared to Soy and Whey Concentrates and Isolates. Foods, [online] 3(3), pp.394–402. doi:10.3390/foods3030394.
- Babault, N., Christos Paizis, Deley, G. and Francois Allaert (2015). Pea proteins oral supplementation promotes muscle thickness gains during resistance training: A… [online] ResearchGate. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/271598964_Pea_proteins_oral_supplementation_promotes_muscle_thickness_gains_during_resistance_training_A_double-blind_randomized_Placebo-controlled_clinical_trial_vs_Whey_protein