The article is a subjective view on this topic written by writers specializing in medical writing.
It may reflect on a personal journey surrounding struggles with an illness or medical condition, involve product comparisons, diet considerations, or other health-related opinions.
Although the view is entirely that of the writer, it is based on academic experiences and scientific research they have conducted; it is fact-checked by a team of degreed medical experts, and validated by sources attached to the article.
The numbers in parenthesis (1,2,3) will take you to clickable links to related scientific papers.
C4 Pre-Workout Review 2023: Ingredients, Effects & Results
All articles are produced independently. When you click our links for purchasing products, we earn an affiliate commission. Learn more about how we earn revenue by reading our advertise disclaimer.
- Established in 2002 in GNC
- Specializes in dietary supplements
- Owned by Nutrabolt
- Based in Austin, Texas
- 17 employees
About The Brand
Cellucor is a global, award-winning company that majorly deals in dietary supplements and sports nutrition. It was founded in 2002 and has its headquarters in Austin, Texas. The Cellucore Pre Workout brand is owned and managed by Nutrobolt, a privately owned sports supplement company in Texas.
Cellucor is known for producing beverages, dietary supplements, and other related products. Some of its competitors include Vpx Sports, Ace Fitness, Icon Nutrition, and MyFitFuel.
What Is C4 Pre Workout?
Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout is a sugar-free supplement with a unique blend of ingredients such as Caffeine, B Vitamins, Creatine Nitrate, and Beta-Alanine. C4 was introduced into the market in 2011 and has since grown into a trusted brand among adults seeking to improve their health. This supplement is designed to provide long-lasting endurance, strength, mental alertness, and energy.
C4 Original Pre Workout also doubles as a stimulant. As such it contains healthy doses of creatine and caffeine, which work together to give the body that much-needed energy boost. Pre-workout C4 is available in a variety of sugar-free flavors, including Orange Burst, Fruit Punch, Cherry Limeade, Icy Blue Razz, Pink Lemonade, and so on.
Feature Product & Coupon
C4 Original Pre-Workout
- Boosts energy and lean muscle mass
- Offers solid recovery from workouts
- Awesome taste
- Phenomenal smell
- Manufactured by a world-renowned brand
- Healthy ingredients
- Promotes laser-like focus
Is C4 Pre-Workout Good?
It’s important to remember that everyone reacts differently to supplements. What works for one person might not work for another. With that said, we believe that C4 pre-workout can be a great supplement for anyone looking for a little extra energy and focus during their workouts.
The combination of caffeine and beta-alanine is clinically proven to be effective, and many people report feeling more energized and motivated after taking this supplement. If you’re looking for something to help you push through your workouts, then you may want to give C4 pre-workout a try.
Alternatives To C4 Pre Workout
CrazyBulk Intensive Pre-Train
- Doesn’t give jitters
- 19 effective ingredients
- No digestive issues, stomach cramps, or jitters
- Great reviews
- Limited to only one flavor
- Ships to specific countries
Transparent Labs Bulk
- Boron, zinc, vitamin D content helps increase testosterone
- Third-party tested
- Manufactured in an FDA-approved
- Ingredients are low-stimulant
- Caffeine content may cause side effects.
- Only available for purchase online
- Transparent formula consisting of plant extracts, minerals, and vitamins.
- Contains vitamins such as B12 and B6 which promote healthy energy release
- Limited caffeine levels
- Costlier than most other alternatives
- ‘Pink Lemonade’ flavor is the only one available
C4 Pre-Workout Ingredients
C4 Original Pre-Workout supplement is made up of:
- 250 milligrams of Vitamin C (also known as Ascorbic Acid)
- 30 milligrams of Niacin (also known as Niacinimide)
- 500 micrograms of Vitamin B6 (also known as Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate)
- 250 micrograms of Folic Acid
- 35 micrograms of Vitamin B12 (also known as Methylcobalamin)
- 24 milligrams of Calcium (also known as Calcium Silicate)
- 1.6 grams of Carnosyn Beta-Alanine
- 1 gram of Creatine Nitrate (NO3-T)
- 1 gram of Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate
- 425 milligrams of Explosive Energy Blend
Beta-Alanine is classified as a non-essential amino acid or protein-building block that aids in enhancing exercise performance. Non-essential means our body is able to make it on its own even if we don’t get it from our food. However, some may want to increase their intake in hopes of achieving greater physical results.
Beta-alanine may enhance physical performance by boosting muscle carnosine that’s associated with enhanced muscle-building capacity. This, therefore, means that CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine aids in lowering the burning sensation that occurs during exercise.
It’s not clear to what extent beta-alanine does this, however. The majority of the beta-alanine consumed is used for mental tasks such as increasing executive function.
Creatine (NO3-T) is among the most well-documented sports supplement ingredients. Its effects have been backed by science for years. Creatine assists your body in replenishing lost energy during exercise. Doing this may help increase your endurance and enable you to d go harder throughout your time in the gym.
Creatine Nitrate also draws water toward the muscles, thereby giving them a fuller, more defined appearance. . It also helps them function better. Creatine nitrate is an improved version of the often-used creatine monohydrate that’s supposedly more absorbable by the body.
In any case, 1g of creatine is relatively low. It may give you that extra boost during workouts, but. serious gym-goers often take it in relatively higher amounts.
Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate
Otherwise known as AAKG, Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate is said to help the liver in processing some of the byproducts of exercise and increasing protein synthesis. Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate helps with recovery post-workout and keeps you from feeling sore and stiff while exercising.
However, a dose of 1g in the C4 Original Pre Workout is not high and not something that may have a huge impact on your workout sessions. But, it may give you a short-term energy boost.
Caffeine is a mild stimulant that’s prevalent in most energy drinks, sodas, tea, and coffee. The 150mg dose in C4 Original Pre-Workout blend is a notch higher in comparison to a regular cup of coffee.
With regards to performance, studies suggest that caffeine is beneficial for both physical and cognitive performance. The majority of the caffeine benefits are visible in regards to aerobic endurance more than other types of exercise.
It’s important to keep in mind that everyone has their own tolerance to caffeine. If you’re particularly caffeine sensitive, this amount of caffeine may be too much for you.
Tyrosine is a naturally-produced amino acid within the body that’s used in making essential compounds such as melanin, hormones, adrenaline, and dopamine. Research shows that tyrosine may be beneficial in boosting mental performance during stressful situations.
Velvet Bean Seed Extract
Velvet Bean Seed Extract is an essential ingredient packed with plenty of benefits. It contains antioxidant, neuroprotective, anti-inflammatory, and anti-diabetic properties. Velvet Bean Seed Extract also induces positive cognitive and mood-boosting capabilities.
Theacrine, otherwise known as Teacrine, is a natural compound that supposedly boosts your motivation and mood. It doesn’t contain stimulant effects when compared to caffeine. Theacrine makes you happier, more motivated, more alert, and generally improves your mood. It does all these without inducing effects from other stimulants. The exact amount of Theacrine is not listed on the ingredient label or official website, as it is part of a proprietary blend of ingredients.
Cellucor C4 Pre-Workout also contains additional ingredients such as B Vitamins that play a critical role in ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) production. ATP is important for providing energy for different metabolic processes.
Reviews From Real Users
“I’ve been using C4 pre workout for a few months now and I love it. It gives me the energy I need to power through my workouts and I don’t feel any crashes afterwards. Highly recommend!”Jose H.
“I was hesitant to try C4 energy blend because I’m not a big fan of stimulants, but I’m glad I gave it a shot. It doesn’t make me feel jittery like other pre-workouts, just more focused and energized. Definitely worth trying if you’re looking for a good pre-workout.”Ben C.
“C4 is the only pre-workout that has ever worked for me. I’ve tried so many different brands and nothing has ever given me the results that this product has. I’m definitely a fan!”Billy S.
“This stuff is amazing! I take it before every workout and it really gets me going. The pumps are insane and my strength has gone up noticeably. If you’re looking for a pre-workout that actually works then you need to try C4.”Ander L.
“C4 is okay, nothing special in my opinion. It gives me a little bit of energy but nothing like some of the other pre-workouts I’ve tried. It’s also really expensive so I probably won’t be buying it again.”Monica J.
“I’ve been using C4 pre workout for about a month now and I’m really liking it. I’m not usually one to take supplements but this stuff has definitely helped me get through my workouts. I have more energy and focus, and I don’t feel as tired afterwards. Overall, I’m really happy with this product.”Trisha G.
“I’ve tried a lot of different pre-workouts and C4 is by far my favorite. I always feel so energized and focused when I take it, and it really helps me push through my workouts.”Phill V.
Health Benefits Of C4 Pre Workout
C4 pre-workout can offer several health benefits. The caffeine in C4 can help to improve focus and mental alertness. If you’re someone who struggles to get going in the morning or feels like they need an extra boost of energy before their workout, then C4 could be a great option for you.
The beta-alanine in C4 delays fatigue during exercise, meaning you can work out for longer without feeling as tired. Arginine is an amino acid that has been shown to improve blood flow and increase muscle pumps. Creatine is a popular supplement that helps to add size and strength. Lastly, it contains B-vitamins which are essential for energy.
Potential Side Effects
There are no reported side effects from taking C4, but as with any supplement, it’s always best to start with the lowest possible dose to assess your tolerance. C4 If you experience any jitteriness, anxiety, or heart palpitations then you should immediately discontinue usage.
Before you start taking Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout, we suggest that you consult with a qualified and licensed health care professional to discuss the pros and cons. This should be the case especially if you’re on alternative dietary supplements, over-the-counter medications, or prescription drugs.
C4 pre-workout is available in powder form. The minimum effective dose is one scoop (about 11 grams) mixed with water (6 fl. oz.). You should ideally consume it approximately 20-30 minutes before your workout. C4 can be taken on an empty stomach or with a light meal.
Probably the best part about C4 is its awesome taste. The artificial flavors are blended perfectly together to produce varieties such as Watermelon, Orange Burst, Cherry Limeade, Strawberry Margarita, Icy Blue Razz, and so on. The smell of the supplement is just as attractive as its taste.
Overall, we believe that C4 is one of the best pre-workout supplements, and is a great product for anyone looking for a little extra energy and focus. The ingredients are clinically proven to be effective, and many people anecdotally report feeling more energized after taking this supplement.
There are no known side effects, but it’s important to recognize that everyone responds to products differently. Always consult with your medical provider before starting any new supplement.
If you determine it is safe for you, It should be taken as prescribed to avoid any serious adverse reaction. If you experience insomnia or jitters while using C4, discontinue use immediately. If you’re looking for something to help you push through your workouts, then the C4 pre-workout is definitely worth trying.
Frequently Asked Questions
C4 Pre-Workout is available in a variety of flavors, so you can find one that suits your taste. The most popular flavors are Fruit Punch, Watermelon, and Green Apple.
Yes, C4 Pre-Workout supplements are definitely worth buying! They offer a variety of potential health benefits, including improved focus and mental alertness, increased energy levels, delayed fatigue during exercise, and more. Plus, they’re low-calorie and low carbohydrate, so you can feel good about taking them.
C4 Original Pre-Workout Supplement contains 62% Folic Acid, 150% Niacin (otherwise known as Niacinamide), 583% Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin), Carno-Syn Beta-Alanine, 417% Vitamin C (also known as Ascorbic Acid), 25% of Vitamin B6 (otherwise known as Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate), Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate, and Explosive Energy Blend.
It’s up to you! Some people prefer to take it before their workout, so they have more energy, while others prefer to take it after their workout for a boost of energy during their day.
C4 Original Pre Workout is designed for most healthy adults to enhance their fitness journey. It may not be recommended for those who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or taking prescription medications. Speak to your doctor prior to starting to determine what is best for your needs.
C4 contains certain ingredients which can be considered banned substances by professional sports organizations. This is because they may unfairly enhance performance.
These ingredients in question may also give a false positive after a thorough drug test. That’s why it’s important to consult with your physician or sports organization before you start taking this product.
+ 8 sources
Health Canal avoids using tertiary references. We have strict sourcing guidelines and rely on peer-reviewed studies, academic researches from medical associations and institutions. To ensure the accuracy of articles in Health Canal, you can read more about the editorial process here
- Hobson, R.M., Saunders, B., Ball, G., Harris, R.C. and Sale, C. (2012). Effects of β-alanine supplementation on exercise performance: a meta-analysis. Amino Acids, [online] 43(1), pp.25–37. doi:10.1007/s00726-011-1200-z.
- Matjaž Macuh and Knap, B.J. (2021). Effects of Nitrate Supplementation on Exercise Performance in Humans: A Narrative Review. [online] ResearchGate. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/354576436_Effects_of_Nitrate_Supplementation_on_Exercise_Performance_in_Humans_A_Narrative_Review
- Willoughby, D.S., Boucher, T., Reid, J., Skelton, G. and Clark, M. (2011). Effects of 7 Days of Arginine-Alpha-Ketoglutarate Supplementation on Blood Flow, Plasma L-Arginine, Nitric Oxide Metabolites, and Asymmetric Dimethyl Arginine After Resistance Exercise. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, [online] 21(4), pp.291–299. doi:10.1123/ijsnem.21.4.291.
- J. Snel, Lorist, M.M. and Zoë Tieges (2004). Coffee, Caffeine, and Cognitive Performance. [online] ResearchGate. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/254898713_Coffee_Caffeine_and_Cognitive_Performance
- Jongkees, B.J., Hommel, B., Kühn, S. and Colzato, L.S. (2015). Effect of tyrosine supplementation on clinical and healthy populations under stress or cognitive demands—A… [online] ResearchGate. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281666344_Effect_of_tyrosine_supplementation_on_clinical_and_healthy_populations_under_stress_or_cognitive_demands-A_review
- Majekodunmi, S., Oyagbemi, A.A., Solomon, U. and Oluwatoyin Odeku (2011). Evaluation of the anti–diabetic properties of Mucuna pruriens seed extract. [online] ResearchGate. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/51634546_Evaluation_of_the_anti-diabetic_properties_of_Mucuna_pruriens_seed_extract
- Kuhman, D., Joyner, K.J. and Bloomer, R.J. (2015). Cognitive Performance and Mood Following Ingestion of a Theacrine-Containing Dietary Supplement, Caffeine,… [online] ResearchGate. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/284190310_Cognitive_Performance_and_Mood_Following_Ingestion_of_a_Theacrine-Containing_Dietary_Supplement_Caffeine_or_Placebo_by_Young_Men_and_Women
- Bonora, M., Patergnani, S., Rimessi, A., De Marchi, E., Suski, J.M., Bononi, A., Giorgi, C., Marchi, S., Missiroli, S., Poletti, F., Wieckowski, M.R. and Pinton, P. (2012). ATP synthesis and storage. Purinergic Signalling, [online] 8(3), pp.343–357. doi:10.1007/s11302-012-9305-8.