How to Lose a Lot of Weight over the Summer – 10 Tips
Losing weight is not an easy task. Well, everybody knows that already. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, about half of US adults tried to shed some extra pounds. As it is already a tedious job, trying to lose weight in hot summers is very difficult to succeed at. However, with the right set of plans and methods, one can achieve it.
You may have tried different methods to lose weight. If you have not succeeded yet, it might feel demotivating to try and do it again, especially in the summer. However, to help you with that, we have compiled this list of several summer weight loss methods that are backed by science. Without further ado, let us get into it.
10 Weight Loss Tips For Summers
- Start Your Day with Water
- Eat a Lot of Fruits and Veggies
- Drink Green Tea
- Eat Healthy Snacks
- Overnight Oats in Breakfast
- Get Sufficient Sleep
- Add Spices to Your Diet
- Exercise Regularly
- Get Daily Sun Exposure
- Use Coconut Oil to Cook
Practical Summer Weight Loss Tips That Work
Summer is not actually a terrible time to lose weight. Usually, most people do not feel much hungry in this warm season. Also, as you drink more water to stay hydrated, it indirectly helps pass your food cravings. If you manage to follow some good weight loss tips, you can take advantage of this time of the year to achieve your weight loss goals. So, here are some of the effective tips for you to lose some weight this summer:
Start Your Day with Water
Regardless of the weather, you must stay hydrated. When it comes to summers, it becomes more important than ever. The hot temperatures increase the likelihood of perspiration and sweating. So, starting your day with a full glass of water is a very healthy thing to do. Moreover, it also boosts your metabolism, which is very important if you are trying to lose weight.
When you drink lots of water, it not only keeps you away from dehydration, but it also induces thermogenesis, which in turn helps you reduce your body fat and weight. When you begin your day with consuming water, it helps your bowel movements as well. So, you can say goodbye to any constipation issues you may have.
Eat a Lot of Fruits & Vegetables
In summers, especially if you are aiming to lose weight, it is better to reduce the quantity of meat intake and consume a diet consisting of vegetables and fruits. They not only provide you with sufficient nutritional value, but also assist you in shedding some weight. It is better to eat a salad at least once a day, as the greens and veggies offer high amounts of satiating fiber, which is excellent for better digestion.
Consuming veggies not only helps you lose weight, but also reduces the chances of cardiovascular issues. Try to prepare your salads with lots of veggies and fruits along with some walnuts or almonds, as they come with omega-3s and magnesium.
Sip Green Tea Once a Day
Green tea offers a lot of health benefits. Not only does it help you stay active and focused, but it also comes with high levels of antioxidants. In your weight loss journey, it will be your ally, since it contains Catechins. If you are wondering what it is, well, Catechins, is an antioxidant that helps in preventing excess storage of belly fat. This, in turn, helps you reduce your weight by a reasonable margin.
Try to have a cup of green tea either in the morning or in the evening. But make sure that you have it without sugar. It is very important to avoid sugars while trying to lose weight. If you like it, you can consume 4 to 5 cups of green tea every day, since it also helps keep cardiovascular problems at bay.
Be Smart with Snacking
You must have heard that snacking is not a good idea when you are struggling to lose weight. Well, that is partially true. No denying it! However, if you could simply pick the right snacks to munch, it is actually a pretty useful method for losing weight. Forget about those processed snacks you buy at your local store or online.
It is time to introduce some healthy snacks into your diet. Well, what is a healthy snack for weight loss, you may ask! To be precise, any high-protein and low-carb/sugar snack is good for you. Snacks such as unsalted almonds are great for weight loss. They also help you in maintaining blood sugar levels, which in turn keeps your brain away from signaling too many hunger pangs.
Breakfast With Overnight Oats
If you are someone who enjoys eating something refreshing and cool in the morning, consider overnight oats. As the name implies, they are prepared the night before. By the time you wake up in the morning, they are cool and ready for you to eat. Moreover, they are very rich in fiber. So, eating them in the morning will keep you satiated throughout the day, which helps you avoid overeating.
For better taste and variety, try adding some chia seeds or berries. Consuming oats on a regular basis also helps in reducing body fat, BMI, and body weight. For someone who is trying to lose some weight, overnight oats and a veggie salad make the perfect breakfast.
Healthy Sleep Every Night
True! The hot summer weather may make it very difficult for you to easily fall asleep. However, that does not mean you could simply delay going to the bed and rather binge-watch a show. Because, no matter how good your dietary efforts are, lack of proper sleep will hinder your weight loss journey.
You should sleep for 7 to 8 hours every day, if you want to stay healthy. Lack of sleep also gets you more belly fat, along with several complexities. Try to meditate or listen to soothing music to help yourself fall asleep. If you have insomnia, make sure you get it treated. Or else, your efforts to lose weight might go in vain.
Add Spices to Your Meals
The summer temperatures may make you feel averse to having some heat on your plate, but do not let that keep you away from adding spices, especially when some of them help you shed some weight. Spices not only enhance the overall taste of your food, but they also carry a lot of health benefits with them.
Consider adding spices such as mustard, cayenne powder, and chilli peppers, as they contain capsaicin, a fat-burning chemical. It also boosts your metabolism, which allows you to burn calories quickly and efficiently. They also assist you to feel satiated throughout your entire day. Simply put, spices improve the taste of your food, while also helping you with your weight loss regime. So, add them to your diet.
Do not Underestimate the Importance of Workout
Eating the right food, getting good sleep, and hydrating yourself definitely works. However, if you want to lose a lot of weight in summer, you would have to put your body through some physical activity. Whether you go to the gym and work out, or you simply opt for a home workout regime, make sure you do not neglect it.
Physical exercise is already a proven and efficient method to lose weight. Pretty much everybody knows that by now. However, only a few take action. So, be one among those few and burn that excess fat. If you are not a fan of regular workout, try alternative physical activities such as running, swimming, sports, or similar other things.
Unique Ways to Lose Weight in Summer
So far, we have discussed some of the prominent and traditional ways for weight loss in summer. However, there are some other lesser-known methods that could assist you to lose extra body weight. Here is how you can do it:
Say Yes to Morning Sunlight
Truth be told, it does not feel good to get up early in the morning and go for a walk or jog in the summer heat. But, if you are trying to lose weight, you have to do it. Because, sun exposure not only gives you Vitamin D, but it also helps with fat burning. If a morning walk or a jog seems daunting, try to sit in your balcony and get that necessary sun exposure.
Cook With Coconut Oil
You may think that, to lose weight, you would have to avoid fried foods. That is true to only some extent. Because, you can eat fried foods and still maintain a healthy weight. For that, you need to simply cook or fry your food with coconut oil. Eating food cooked with coconut oil is one of the lesser-known weight loss methods.
Losing weight requires strong will and determination. No matter what method you follow, always make sure to be mindful and happy. Do not feel sad or demotivated if you could not meet a goal. Every day is a fresh start. So, get up in the morning, hydrate yourself, go for a jog, eat healthy food, and exercise for some time. Do these and you will see the results slowly but surely!
+ 12 sources
Health Canal avoids using tertiary references. We have strict sourcing guidelines and rely on peer-reviewed studies, academic researches from medical associations and institutions. To ensure the accuracy of articles in Health Canal, you can read more about the editorial process here
- Anon, (2021). Products – Data Briefs – Number 313 – July 2018. [online] Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db313.htm#:~:text=In%202013%E2%80%932016%2C%2049.1%25,%25)%20tried%20to%20lose%20weight.
- Vij, V.A. (2013). Effect of “Water Induced Thermogenesis” on Body Weight, Body Mass Index and Body Composition of Overweight Subjects. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. [online] Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3809630/
- Greger, M. (2020). A Whole Food Plant-Based Diet Is Effective for Weight Loss: The Evidence. American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, [online] 14(5), pp.500–510. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7444011/
- Tapsell, L.C., Batterham, M.J., Thorne, R.L., O’Shea, J.E., Grafenauer, S.J. & Probst, Y.C. (2014). Weight loss effects from vegetable intake: a 12-month randomised controlled trial. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, [online] 68(7), pp.778–785. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4086735/
- Nagao, T., Hase, T. & Tokimitsu, I. (2007). A Green Tea Extract High in Catechins Reduces Body Fat and Cardiovascular Risks in Humans*. Obesity, [online] 15(6), pp.1473–1483. Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17557985/
- Wien, M.A., Sabaté, J.M., Iklé, D.N., Cole, S.E. & Kandeel, F.R. (2003). Almonds vs complex carbohydrates in a weight reduction program. International Journal of Obesity, [online] 27(11), pp.1365–1372. Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14574348/
- Chang, H.-C., Huang, C.-N., Yeh, D.-M., Wang, S.-J., Peng, C.-H. & Wang, C.-J. (2013). Oat Prevents Obesity and Abdominal Fat Distribution, and Improves Liver Function in Humans. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, [online] 68(1), pp.18–23. Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23371785/
- Nedeltcheva, A.V., Kilkus, J.M., Imperial, J., Schoeller, D.A. & Penev, P.D. (2010). Insufficient sleep undermines dietary efforts to reduce adiposity. Annals of internal medicine, [online] 153(7), pp.435–41. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2951287/
- Zheng, J., Zheng, S., Feng, Q., Zhang, Q. & Xiao, X. (2017). Dietary capsaicin and its anti-obesity potency: from mechanism to clinical implications. Bioscience Reports, [online] 37(3). Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5426284/
- Swift, D.L., Johannsen, N.M., Lavie, C.J., Earnest, C.P. & Church, T.S. (2014). The Role of Exercise and Physical Activity in Weight Loss and Maintenance. Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases, [online] 56(4), pp.441–447. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3925973/
- Fleury, N., Geldenhuys, S. & Gorman, S. (2016). Sun Exposure and Its Effects on Human Health: Mechanisms through Which Sun Exposure Could Reduce the Risk of Developing Obesity and Cardiometabolic Dysfunction. International journal of environmental research and public health, [online] 13(10), p.999. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5086738/
- Schlintl, C. & Schienle, A. (2020). Effects of Coloring Food Images on the Propensity to Eat: A Placebo Approach With Color Suggestions. Frontiers in Psychology, [online] 11. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7658407/