Metaphysical Counseling: Find A Spiritual Therapist In 2022
2020 definitely changed the game for many industry professionals, not excluding metaphysical counselors. So how to find the best therapy in 2021 and should you be shifting your focus online?
Choosing the right kind of metaphysical therapy that will suit your needs and beliefs depends on you, as only when you’re fully comfortable with the type of spiritual tools a metaphysical counselor might use, will you be able to open up and begin healing.
As a type of therapy that’s become very individualized in recent years, it’s important to note that you might try out a few different approaches and counselors before choosing the one that’s perfect for you.
Best Online Metaphysical Counseling List
With the whole trend shifting online, here are some of the best online metaphysical counseling resources:
How Does Online Therapy Work?
Before you embark on this journey, the first step you take is a brief assessment where you answer a specific set of questions which then, based on your answers, opens a pool of therapists who are right for your condition.
You then choose a therapist from the list and schedule your first therapy session. It really is as simple as that.
What is metaphysical counseling?
Metaphysical counseling, sometimes also referred to as spiritual counseling, is a holistic approach to therapy that includes focusing on the spiritual side of the client’s being rather than just treating the symptoms. It offers a unique form of counseling that helps explore one’s issues and problems through a much deeper, spiritual lens, that is considered to open many mental and emotional pathways, otherwise blocked with traditional therapy.
There are a plethora of spiritual and holistic healing practices that metaphysical counselors use with clients who are interested in trying it out. Some of them teach from their own perspective on spirituality while others like helping their clients explore their own beliefs and spirituality, considering that this could be the clue. Both of these techniques can be helpful, as different tools work for different people. Furthermore, the majority of counselors nowadays have a broad scope of therapeutic techniques that they can then customize particularly for each individual client, making therapy that much more efficient.
As every other form of treatment evolves, so has metaphysical therapy, as most counselors try to adapt their techniques to the individual, having them guide the sessions in a way, letting the counselor know what they’re comfortable with and what they’re open to trying out.
What to Expect in a Metaphysical Therapy Session?
As metaphysical generally means “beyond the physical,” think of a metaphysical therapy session as a deeper conversation with your therapist. Allow yourself to open up and open your mind and emotions while trying out different techniques your counselor might try with you.
These might include:
- Taking moments of silence
- Special breathing techniques
- Guided meditations
- Yoga practice
- Exploring the power of affirmations
- Energetic clearing
- Other religious practices
Some of these tools, like deep breathing techniques or gentle yoga practice, can help you relax and create a peaceful setting before the real work even starts, and others, like visualizations and energetic clearing, are only introduced later in your sessions when you’ve already adapted and are ready to go deeper.
Spiritual therapy can be very powerful, and at times, very mentally and physically exhausting. It’s important to give yourself time to process and push through even when it seems like it’s the hardest thing to do. The counselor will practice patience and try out different techniques that might yield different results, all in order to help get deeper into your issues and heal past trauma.
It’s not uncommon to experience uneasiness and discomfort as these techniques are meant to help you cleanse and heal from negativity and those emotions and thoughts weighing you down.
The Difference Between Psychotherapy and Metaphysical Counseling
If you’re familiar with psychotherapy, you might wonder what’s the difference between these sessions and metaphysical coaching courses. And although metaphysical counseling that is offered by mental health professionals is based on psychotherapy, it definitely brings on a whole different approach.
Psychotherapists mainly focus on their clients’ mental health concerns by trying to treat and heal past wounds through conversation and delving deep into their childhood experiences and family history. This helps identify and process their emotions as well as develop their self-esteem.
Metaphysical counselors use spirituality and spiritual tools and practices to help their clients recover their psychological well-being, believing that it helps on a much deeper level. In addition, to talk therapy, metaphysical counselors will usually offer a set of spiritual tools that can help when combined, or even when tried out on their own.
Those practicing metaphysical counseling are licensed therapists with vast experience in psychotherapy, who’ve decided to add spiritual tools under their belt in order to dig deeper into the emotional, trying to help clients face their issues and become healed.
What Are The Benefits of Online Therapy?
Simplicity aside, why would you choose online therapy? Some of the most common benefits include:
- Accessibility – 24/7 access that lets you reach out whenever you need
- Affordability – generally way less expensive than in-person sessions
- Anonymity – for those who want to stay anonymous
- Flexible schedule to meet your lifestyle and daily habits
- Switching therapists with no hassle or extra cost
How To Choose The Best Online Metaphysical Counseling?
When it comes to choosing what’s best out there, you need to do some research before you commit to metaphysical sessions. Every person is different and each one of us has different needs and ways of dealing with thoughts and emotions.
Talkspace, Calmerry, and Online-Therapy.com all have licensed, well-experienced therapists who are ready to tackle your problems and help you find a solution. Since online therapy makes it easy to switch therapists, you can even try out a few and see which one works for you best. You can even try a few platforms at the same time and find the one with the best approach that speaks to you.
While some people love meditation and breathing exercises, others might enjoy gentle yoga sessions and deep visualization techniques. That’s why there’s a wide range of spiritual tools each therapist can use and try out with their clients to see which one works best.
Here are some of the key points to consider when choosing the right kind of online therapy:
Obviously, one of the main aspects of online therapy is the price. Since in-person therapy is usually pretty expensive, it’s not unlikely to expect somewhat similar prices even when the process is online. Fortunately, shifting the focus to online sessions has brought the prices down and made the whole process that much more affordable.
- Talkspace allows you to sign up monthly, quarterly, or biannually with no contracts and the option to cancel anytime you like. The exact cost depends on your location and you can choose between three different plans: Unlimited messaging therapy Plus, Unlimited messaging therapy Premium (includes one live session per month), and Unlimited messaging therapy Ultimate (includes four live sessions per month). Additionally, Talkspace partners with a number of health plans to provide online therapy to employees through employee assistance programs (EAP) and behavioral health benefits.
- Calmerry is also a subscription-based service that offers weekly and monthly plans, starting at $42 per week. If you’re not satisfied with the sessions, you can request a refund which will then be evaluated by Calmerry professionals who can then offer you a new therapist, a partial, or even a full refund depending on your reasons for your request.
- Online-Therapy.com has plans that start at just $31.96 per weekA with a 20% discount for the first month. Their subscriptions exist as Basic, Standard, and Premium, with the amount of daily support increasing with each plan. Although they aren’t covered through insurance, they issue itemized receipts which can then be used to request reimbursement or direct payment for their online therapy services.
Different Types of Therapy
Another grand virtue of online therapy is the vast possibility of different types of treatment that can be offered through the platform as licensed therapists from all over the world and with all kinds of expertise can host sessions.
- Talkspace has thousands of licensed therapists, many of which are trained in not just one, but a variety of areas of expertise. Some of the most popular ones include anxiety and stress management, PTSD, eating disorders, substance abuse, mood disorders, parenting, grief and trauma, depression, and many others.
- Calmerry therapists use only evidence-based therapy and counseling approaches and cover a range of specialties, helping with anxiety, anger management, low self-esteem, addiction, eating disorders, chronic illness, and many more.
- The main menu of Online-therapy.com has a tab that specifically puts each condition into a category of its own. From agoraphobia, bipolarity, and anger management to insomnia, OCD, and panic attacks, their platform has a myriad of therapists who specialize in multiple areas.
Many people choose online therapy because of the attractive aspect of privacy, where they can be safe no one else will barge in or see them coming and going to the therapist’s office. All online platforms offer complete privacy with secure rooms where only you and your therapist are allowed to enter or even choosing only-text options where in-person video calls aren’t even in question. All for the sake of healing.
Frequently Asked Questions
A metaphysical counselor is a licensed therapist who focuses on a holistic approach to healing mental health issues and trauma. The sessions include spiritual techniques to gain a different perspective into a client’s condition which are meant to release negative energy, open up to create space for positive energy and intuition, and learning how to bring it into their daily life in order to deal with past issues.
In order to become a metaphysical counselor, you do need to go through a rigorous amount of training and education. From a Bachelor’s to a Master’s and finally a Doctorate or PhD, there’s plenty you need to achieve and excel in to be able to request a license. Once you receive your license, you are then suitable to take on and treat clients.
Yes, a metaphysical counselor or therapist is basically the same thing as a spiritual therapist. Spiritual is a word that describes the basis of their counseling practice.
Metaphysical therapy differs from all other forms of therapy in the sense that it offers spiritual and other abstract tools for healing such as meditation, breathing exercises, yoga, and even religious practices.
A metaphysical session starts with an assessment after which the counselor lays out a few tools he or she would like to start with. Usually, it’s some sort of breathing technique that helps release stress and invites positive energy in, allowing the client to relax and become more open to other forms of treatment. After that, the counselor might try meditation, yoga, visualization practices, energy clearing, or even prayer.
With the option of therapy being offered online, a platform full of possibilities opened up for therapists who are trained in multiple areas of expertise. From anxiety, stress, eating disorders and PTSD to childhood trauma, substance abuse, grief and anger management. There’s really something for everyone.
+ 5 sources
Health Canal avoids using tertiary references. We have strict sourcing guidelines and rely on peer-reviewed studies, academic researches from medical associations and institutions. To ensure the accuracy of articles in Health Canal, you can read more about the editorial process here
- Juniper (2018). Spiritual Counseling. [online] University of Metaphysical Sciences. Available at: https://metaphysicsuniversity.com/spiritual-counseling/ [Accessed 7 Aug. 2021].
- Drs Graay R.Walz and Jeanne C.Bleuer,Integrating Spirituality in Counseling Practice. Available at: https://www.counseling.org/docs/default-source/vistas/integrating-spirituality-in-counseling-practice.pdf?sfvrsn=7ddd7e2c_10
- Rivera, A. (2018). The DA Guide to Spiritual Counseling. [online] Depression Alliance. Available at: https://www.depressionalliance.org/spiritual-counseling/ [Accessed 7 Aug. 2021].
- Aihcp.org. (2021). Role of the Certified Spiritual Counselor. [online] Available at: https://www.aihcp.org/certified-spiritual-counselor.htm [Accessed 7 Aug. 2021].
- CareersinPsychology.org |. (2012). How To Become a Spiritual Counselor | CareersinPsychology.org. [online] Available at: https://careersinpsychology.org/spiritual-counseling-careers/ [Accessed 7 Aug. 2021].