The article is a subjective view on this topic written by writers specializing in medical writing.
It may reflect on a personal journey surrounding struggles with an illness or medical condition, involve product comparisons, diet considerations, or other health-related opinions.
Although the view is entirely that of the writer, it is based on academic experiences and scientific research they have conducted; it is fact-checked by a team of degreed medical experts, and validated by sources attached to the article.
The numbers in parenthesis (1,2,3) will take you to clickable links to related scientific papers.
Best Sea Moss Supplements: Top 5 Brands To Buy In 2023
All articles are produced independently. When you click our links for purchasing products, we earn an affiliate commission. Learn more about how we earn revenue by reading our advertise disclaimer.
Peak Performance Organic Irish Sea Moss Capsules
- Contains pure sea moss.
- Gut, heart, and lungs.
Elm & Rye Sea Moss Capsules
- Supports gut health.
- Good for skin health.
- Promotes weight loss.
Akasha Superfoods Sea Moss Vitality Blend
- Ethically sourced sea moss.
The best sea moss contains carrageenan, a substance used to thicken dairy products like cottage cheese or sour cream and cottage, although sea moss has various health benefits besides being a thickening agent.
Animal studies on sea moss have shown that it can improve the immune system, gut health, and even fertility. High-quality sea moss also has a ton of vitamins and minerals, which may promote weight loss, heart health, skin health, and muscle rehabilitation. This ingredient is also used in several fat-burning supplements because of its purported weight-reduction benefits.
Sea moss can be eaten as organic sea moss, although supplements come in the form of capsules, candies, powders, and gels. In this list, we’ve chosen the top five sea moss supplements and given details on their pros and cons, price, ingredients, and efficacy.
Best Sea Moss Supplements on the market in (November. 2023)
- Peak Performance Organic Irish Sea Moss Capsules – Editor’s Choice
- Elm & Rye Sea Moss Capsules – Best Sea Moss For Gut Health and Weight loss
- Akasha Superfoods Sea Moss Vitality Blend – Best Sea Moss Gel In A Capsule
- Atlantic Naturals Organic Sea Moss Capsules – Best Sea Moss Supplement For Overall Health
- Oculus Organics Sea Moss Complex – Best Sea Moss For Body Detoxification
What Is Sea Moss?
Sea moss (Irish sea moss) is a red algae or seaweed that thrives in seawater. Natural sea moss comes in various colors. You can find green sea moss, purple sea moss, red, and even gold.
Red algae is a specific variety that grows in warmer waters. The red wild Irish sea moss is rich in vitamins and minerals but is relatively low in sugar, fat, and calories. This is why it is such an acclaimed weight loss ingredient.
Any “essential” sea moss (so called because of its essential minerals and vitamins which our bodies cannot make) has the following nutrients:
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin B12
In addition to the many health benefits we mentioned in the introduction, sea moss also contains a trace amount of iodine, which is vital for thyroid function. Natural sea moss also offers the human body substantial antioxidants to ward off oxidative stress. For this reason, the benefits of sea moss may also benefit the effects of aging, which includes your skin health.
The health benefits of consuming sea moss supplements span the entire body.
One can consume sea moss as a supplement or prepare it as a gel for smoothies and other food additives. Preparing sea moss is simple:
- Soak it in water for a day.
- Blend it to get a gel.
- Store it in the fridge and use it as you wish in smoothies and in cooking.
Who Should Avoid Sea Moss?
Despite the numerous health benefits linked to using organic sea moss, some people should avoid consuming it.
The first group of individuals is pregnant women. Expectant mothers are in a high-risk group for alterations in their nutrition. This includes possible effects from any supplement.
Generally, sea moss in small, moderate quantities is safe during pregnancy. But the risk comes from the high iodine content in Irish moss, which would offset the normal thyroid health of the mother. Sea moss also can absorb heavy metals, which can affect fetal development. Breastfeeding mothers are also included in this category.
Individuals with Thyroid Issues
The second high-risk group is individuals with existing thyroid health issues. When someone taking sea moss has pre-existing thyroid issues, there is a likelihood of an aggravation of the condition due to the iodine content
Other high-risk groups are people with a history of gallstones, people on hypertension and diabetes medication, and individuals with autoimmune diseases.
Infants and kids are also not supposed to take this ingredient to avoid side effects or the onset of allergies.
The last group that should stay away from even the smallest sea moss consumption is those who are allergic to shellfish and sulfur.
The benefits of sea moss are plenty, but the number of people who should not consume it is also large. So, before you take sea moss pills, gels, or candies, ensure you first see a doctor for a second opinion.
5 Best Sea Moss Supplements To Try In 2023
Peak Performance purports its product is unlike most sea moss products since it is pure, nutritious, wild harvested, and vegan.
- This supplement contains pure Irish sea moss extract.
- This natural sea moss supplement supports respiratory health.
- It is dairy and (genetically modified organism) GMO-free.
- Not for people under 18 years.
This natural sea moss product is the first on our list for several reasons:
First, Peak Performance Organic Irish Sea Moss Capsules contain 1200 mg of naturally harvested, pure sea moss. A full dosage per day, as per the manufacturer’s instructions, are two vegan capsules, offering 2.4 grams of sea moss.
Second, this essential sea moss is affordable at $19 for a 30-day supply. At this price, it sounds reasonable that adding this to your monthly budget won’t break the bank. And if you want to get a better deal, perhaps purchase these best Irish sea moss capsules in bulk or during promos and offers.
Third, for the health benefits, Peak Performance claims that its supplement optimizes gut health, thyroid health, and the immune system. The abundance of nutrients back up these health claims. For instance, sea moss replenishes the good bacteria in our digestive tract for gut health.
For immunity and anti-inflammation, it helps fight oxidative stress, also thanks to the antioxidants available.
Elm & Rye Sea Moss Capsules
The Elm & Rye Sea brand has a very simple yet precise and elegant black branding. The brand has an excellent online reputation, with numerous publications on Forbes and the Men’s Journal praising its supplements.
- It helps digestive health due to prebiotics.
- It’s low in calories, fat, and sugar.
- It is available in an equivalent gummy version.
- The brand has an automated 30-day delivery subscription.
- It is an expensive Irish moss supplement.
This Elm & Rye Sea supplement comprises five ingredients: Irish moss, water, gelatin, glycerin, and organic medium-chain triglycerides (MCT).
The main reason we have this as the best sea moss for GI health and weight loss is its abundance in fiber and another compound called fucoxanthin. The fiber helps a user of these excellent sea moss pills feel fuller for longer. Fucoxanthin helps promote fat metabolism.
This sea moss is also a potent source of fiber and live bacteria that supports a healthy gut microbiome.
The studies on fucoxanthin on fat metabolism are animal studies, meaning there is a need for more human research to finally validate its claim as a weight-reduction remedy by speeding fat burning.
One tub consisting of a month’s supply costs around $44.99 when bought as a one-time purchase. However, if you opt for the subscription to this Irish moss brand, you will pay $35.99.
This organic Irish sea moss supplement is third-party tested, and the results are available for all to access on the company’s website. You can also get the Elm & Rye in gummy form.
Akasha Superfoods Sea Moss Vitality Blend
The Akasha Superfoods Sea Moss Vitality Blend offers digestive body support, thyroid function enhancement, skin health boost, and a healthy prebiotic supply to the gut microbiota.
- It is vegan-friendly.
- It is GMO-free and other synthetic additives-free.
- It is a USA-based company.
- It is Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) certified.
- Not suitable for anyone under 18.
This formula is a potent combination of organic sea moss 500 mg, organic bladderwrack 400 mg, organic burdock root extract 500 mg, and BioPerine® black pepper extract 5 mg.
The Sea Moss Vitality Blend by Akasha Superfoods is designed to provide a wide range of health advantages, such as support for the thyroid and digestive systems, immune-boosting qualities, and better skin health. This pill may also aid in reducing inflammation, improving your vision, and losing weight.
The antioxidants in bladderwrack encourage collagen production in the skin, which may help reduce the appearance of cellulite, speed up skin healing, and prevent premature skin aging. Bladderwrack is also rich in beta-carotene, zinc, potassium, and iron.
Organic bladderwrack, which is iodine-rich, is also potent at supporting thyroid health, joint health, heart health, eyesight, weight loss, and digestion support, according to the company’s claims touted on its website.
When used topically, burdock root’s anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties may benefit a variety of skin issues, including wrinkles, eczema, acne, and psoriasis. Burdock is rich in phenolic acids, quercetin, and luteolin. Some of the company’s claims on burdock are that it offers blood purification benefits, aids detoxification, induces lymphatic drainage, and provides digestive support.
Bioperine increases the bioavailability of all the components in this sea moss complex solution.
The USA-based facility where Akasha Superfoods Sea Moss Vitality Blend is produced has a GMP certification. They are vegan and gluten-free and don’t include any dangerous additives like GMOs, colors, or additives.
Atlantic Naturals Organic Sea Moss Capsules
The Atlantic Naturals Organic Sea Moss Capsules offer several benefits. This sea moss complex works on the immune, cardiovascular, skeleton, thyroid, and skin systems.
- Supports the respiratory system.
- This supplement boosts digestive health.
- It has joint and bone healing ingredients.
- The sea moss taste is mild without an aftertaste.
- Not suitable for people with sea moss sensitivities.
The ingredients in these sea moss pills have been developed to enhance skin, gastrointestinal, and immune system health.
Additionally, it has elements that promote good thyroid function and adequate fluid balance. Every serving contains 92 of the 102 minerals your body requires to operate at its peak.
This sea moss supplement is gluten-free, vegan, non-GMO, and organic. It also goes through thorough testing at independent labs to guarantee its safety and purity.
This supplement costs $27.99 on a one-time purchase arrangement. But if you get the brand subscription, you can save 20% and only pay $23.49. Subject to physician advice, you only need to take one or two capsules.
Oculus Organics Sea Moss Complex
Oculus Organics Sea Moss Complex is the last of our five best sea moss supplements. It’s equally as beneficial as the other four, offering thyroid, joint, and detox support.
- This sea moss supplement contains 1.5 g of sea moss.
- It is an ideal sea moss product touted for detox.
- These sea moss capsules support thyroid function.
- It may not work for everyone.
Try Oculus Organics Sea Moss Complex because it is 100% natural. These capsules are manufactured with organic components, such as sea moss 766 mg, bladderwrack 684 mg, and burdock root 50 mg.
Each serving provides health advantages for the entire body, including support for the immune system and the thyroid, as well as support for the joints and anti-aging characteristics. Oculus Organics Sea Moss Complex claims it contributes to the body’s natural detoxification and cleansing processes.
This sea moss complex dietary supplement is produced in a facility registered with the FDA in the United States. Because of this, you may purchase Oculus Organics Sea Moss Complex more comfortable that it should be free of harmful ingredients, completely natural, and highly efficient.
This ethically sourced organic wild Irish sea moss dosage is two capsules daily. One tub with 32 servings costs $15.95.
Potential Side Effects
The benefits of sea moss support overall human well-being; however, on the flip side, it has its downsides:
- There is limited research to fully affirm all the health benefits mentioned in this article.
- There is also a grey area on the exact nutritional value of sea moss products. This is because the final sea moss’s nutritional value is affected by the environment in which the moss grew. This strikes a cloud of doubt on the exact quantity of the essential nutrients naturally in sea moss.
- Organic Irish moss may be too high in iodine, leading to hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism (goiter and a decline in thyroid function), or thyroid autoimmunity. Hypothyroidism slows down growth and depresses body metabolism.
- There is also the possibility of heavy metal poisoning; suppose the waters where the natural sea moss grew were contaminated.
Because of these reasons, please make sure you see a doctor before using any sea moss products. And you should also buy an authentic product that is third-party tested for authenticity.
Sea Moss Recommended Dosage
According to one study, a sea moss dosage of 4 grams daily is safe, although the recommended daily intake is a little more than 1 gram. 4 grams, typically safe to consume, is within the quantity range of the best sea moss brands.
The best sea moss supplement form to take will depend on your preferences. Some people prefer sea moss pills, others sea moss gels, and others sea moss capsules. Whatever you select, ensure it is within the safe sea moss dose range.
Regardless, check with your doctor before using it.
How We Choose The Best Sea Moss Supplement
The best sea moss to buy is one with a clean label, the correct quantity of sea moss, and additional beneficial ingredients. The other constraints we used to select these five brands are
- The brand reputation.
- The product certifications (GMP, vegan, organic).
- Third-party testing.
- The price of the supplement.
Taking sea moss pills is beneficial in numerous ways. It supports your body, from the immunity system to the gut and skin systems. Nonetheless, there are various kinds of the best sea moss.
One can be the best sea moss gummies based on their taste or potency, while the best sea moss for weight reduction may have a higher concentration of sea moss. And that is why you need a doctor’s input.
Please note that there may also be the best sea moss for pregnancy on retail, but it typically has a lower sea moss concentration to avoid an iodine overdose. Sea moss is safe in moderation during pregnancy. It becomes an issue with an overdose of iodine or sketchy suppliers who may sell it with heavy metal contamination.
Give any of these supplements a try if you want better immunity and support for other body systems, including glowing skin. Consult your dietitian for advice on the supplements.
Frequently Asked Questions
You should take 1 gram of sea moss per day, but up to 4 grams/day is safe.
If you have an iron deficiency, you will start feeling the effects within a few days. If not, then two to three weeks.
Yes, you can.
Some side effects are diarrhea, bloating, constipation, stomach cramps, burping, and frequent urination.
Yes, it does.
+ 16 sources
Health Canal avoids using tertiary references. We have strict sourcing guidelines and rely on peer-reviewed studies, academic researches from medical associations and institutions. To ensure the accuracy of articles in Health Canal, you can read more about the editorial process here
- , The Cornucopia Institute Table of Contents Contents (2016). CarageenanReport 2016. [online] Available at: https://www.cornucopia.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/CarageenanReport-2016.pdf.
- NCCIH. (2015). Vitamins and Minerals. [online] Available at: https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/vitamins-and-minerals
- Barros-Gomes, J.A.C., Nascimento, D.L.A., Silveira, A.C.R., Silva, R.K., Gomes, D.L., Melo, K.R.T., Almeida-Lima, J., Camara, R.B.G., Silva, N.B. and Rocha, H.A.O. (2018). In VivoEvaluation of the Antioxidant Activity and Protective Action of the SeaweedGracilaria birdiae. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, [online] 2018, pp.1–12. doi:10.1155/2018/9354296.
- Molina-Recio, G. (2022). Nutrition for a healthy pregnancy and environment. Fertility, Pregnancy, and Wellness, [online] pp.295–317. doi:10.1016/b978-0-12-818309-0.00019-8.
- Besada, V., Andrade, J.M., Schultze, F. and González, J.J. (2009). Heavy metals in edible seaweeds commercialised for human consumption. Journal of Marine Systems, [online] 75(1-2), pp.305–313. doi:10.1016/j.jmarsys.2008.10.010.
- Liu, J., Kandasamy, S., Zhang, J. and Balakrishnan Prithiviraj (2015). Prebiotic effects of diet supplemented with the cultivated red seaweed Chondrus crispus or with… [online] ResearchGate. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281057194_Prebiotic_effects_of_diet_supplemented_with_the_cultivated_red_seaweed_Chondrus_crispus_or_with_fructo-oligo-saccharide_on_host_immunity_colonic_microbiota_and_gut_microbial_metabolites
- Amazona Seamoss. Benefits of Sea moss natural product huge benefits. [online] Available at: https://irp.cdn-website.com/16524788/files/uploaded/Benefits%20of%20Sea%20moss%20%20%20.pdf
- Goel, R., Saini, T. and Binny Mahendru (2021). Therapeutic potential of seaweeds. [online] ResearchGate. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351147393_Therapeutic_potential_of_seaweeds
- Yam Sim Khaw, Fatimah Md. Yusoff, Hui Teng Tan, Nur Amirah Izyan Noor Mazli, Muhammad Farhan Nazarudin, Noor Azmi Shaharuddin, Abdul Rahman Omar. (2021). The Critical Studies of Fucoxanthin Research Trends from 1928 to June 2021: A Bibliometric Review. [online] Available at: file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Desktop/marinedrugs-19-00606-v3.pdf
- Muradian, K., Vaiserman, A., Min, K.-J. and Vadim Fraifeld (2015). Fucoxanthin and Lipid Metabolism: A Minireview. [online] ResearchGate. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/279210992_Fucoxanthin_and_Lipid_Metabolism_A_Minireview
- Novel bioactive seaweed based ingredients and products. (n.d.). [online] Available at: https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1295654/FULLTEXT01.pdf.
- Stansbury, J., Saunders, P. and Winston, D. (2012). Promoting Healthy Thyroid Function with Iodine, Bladderwrack, Guggul and Iris. [online] ResearchGate. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/272145237_Promoting_Healthy_Thyroid_Function_with_Iodine_Bladderwrack_Guggul_and_Iris
- Ventura, S., Rodrigues, M., Falcão, A. and Alves, G. (2018). Safety evidence on the administration of Fucus vesiculosus L. (bladderwrack) extract and lamotrigine: data from pharmacokinetic studies in the rat. Drug and Chemical Toxicology, [online] 43(6), pp.560–566. doi:10.1080/01480545.2018.1518454.
- Miazga-Karska, M., Michalak, K. and Ginalska, G. (2020). Anti-Acne Action of Peptides Isolated from Burdock Root—Preliminary Studies and Pilot Testing. Molecules, [online] 25(9), p.2027. doi:10.3390/molecules25092027.
- Ha, M.-S., Kim, J.-H., Kim, Y.-S. and Kim, D.-Y. (2018). Effects of aquarobic exercise and burdock intake on serum blood lipids and vascular elasticity in Korean elderly women. Experimental Gerontology, [online] 101, pp.63–68. doi:10.1016/j.exger.2017.11.005.
- Darias-Rosales, J., Rubio, C., Gutiérrez, Á.J., Paz, S. and Hardisson, A. (2020). Risk assessment of iodine intake from the consumption of red seaweeds (Palmaria palmata and Chondrus crispus). Environmental Science and Pollution Research, [online] 27(36), pp.45737–45741. doi:10.1007/s11356-020-10478-9.