The restrictions are part of a multi-step approach to protect patients and prevent the spread of influenza at Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional and Duke Raleigh hospitals, as well as the Duke Ambulatory Surgical Center and the James E. Davis Ambulatory Surgical Center.
Temporary initiatives include:
- Patients may receive no more than two adult visitors at one time.
- Children under 18 are not permitted to visit hospitals or wards without prior approval from healthcare providers and only for special circumstances.
- Visitors are urged to perform hand washing frequently, including when entering and leaving the building. Foam dispensers are available throughout the buildings, and are effective against influenza virus.
- Visitors with fever, cough or other flu-like symptoms should remain home.
- Emergency rooms, urgent care centers and clinics will seek opportunities to physically segregate potential flu patients if facility designs allow.
Restrictions are temporary and will be reviewed as the state’s influenza rates abate. Similar restrictions on hospital visitations were put in place last year from Dec. 26, 2012 through Feb. 11, 2013.