This series of briefs is based on SAMHSA’s Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN), a public health surveillance system which collects data from nationally representative emergency departments participating in the program.
- Comparative data on the level of drug-related emergency department visits occurring within the metropolitan area and the nation as a whole
- Key demographic patient characteristics such as gender and age
- Breakdowns on the substances of abuse involved in the emergency department visits
- Information on the levels of emergency department visits involving drug- related suicide attempts
- Data on emergency department visits involving underage drinking
SAMHSA is a public health agency within the Department of Health and Human Services. Its mission is to reduce the impact of substance abuse and mental illness on America’s communities.
Media Contact: SAMHSA Press Office