The article is a subjective view on this topic written by writers specializing in medical writing.
It may reflect on a personal journey surrounding struggles with an illness or medical condition, involve product comparisons, diet considerations, or other health-related opinions.
Although the view is entirely that of the writer, it is based on academic experiences and scientific research they have conducted; it is fact-checked by a team of degreed medical experts, and validated by sources attached to the article.
The numbers in parenthesis (1,2,3) will take you to clickable links to related scientific papers.
How To Find The Best Online Therapy For Gender Dysphoria In 2023
All articles are produced independently. When you click our links for purchasing products, we earn an affiliate commission. Learn more about how we earn revenue by reading our advertise disclaimer.
- Take good care of your mental health
- Resolve gender problems
- Anonymity can be maintained where necessary
- Unlimited texting
- Appointments by text, phone, or video
- Accepts insurance
$85 off your first month: HEALTHCANAL85
- Connects you with local therapists
- In person or teletherapy options
- Informative articles
20% Off Coupon: healthcanal
Gender dysphoria is no fun. This is because you will mostly be struggling with your gender identity and at times you are overwhelmed on how to handle things. This can also apply to a transgender who might still feel confused about gender identification.
If you have been feeling this way, you may want to consider getting an online gender therapist. Many online gender therapy sessions can help you learn more about your sex and how best to deal with gender dysphoria.
Since the sessions are online, you can always experience many benefits. This includes having private chats with a therapist, paying less compared to face-to-face counseling, and more. This guide helps you to learn more about online gender therapist services and how they can be beneficial to you.
Best Online therapy for Gender Dysphoria 2023
Gender dysphoria should always be taken seriously. That is why Pride Counseling offers the services of registered therapists to help you deal with any gender issues you might be having.
- Take good care of your mental health
- Resolve gender problems
- Anonymity can be maintained where necessary
- Some have no control over the therapists they choose
Any good gender therapist on the platform will be willing to schedule better times for different individuals. This is understandable because the platform can have clients from different parts of the world. As such, therapists can also take care of various clients based on their time zones.
One of the biggest benefits of online therapy would be the privacy you get. That is also something Pride Counseling offers. Those who have experience with the platform claim they have never had their private conversations with therapists leaked. This should generally boost your feelings knowing that your experiences will not be shared with everyone.
In case you feel that the current therapist is not helping you much or rather your issues are not adequately addressed, you can switch to other therapists on the platform. This should make your sessions feel worth the time. Anyone who is transgender or LGBT would want to feel a sense of security and a therapist plays a huge role in such a case.
It does not always have to be expensive to talk about your gender issues. That is what Pride Counseling offers. This is because you can now pay a weekly subscription of $60 to $90 (billed every 4 weeks) and get unlimited messaging with a therapist. That is a bargain compared to asking questions to a conventional therapist in an office. You would have to pay a lot more for such an experience.
There are a few services that seem to be setting the standard for the rest, in terms of options and availability. Talkspace is one of those trend-setting online therapy platforms.
- Based on cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Have various research-supported strategies
- Affordable price
Any sort of therapy is all about communication. In online therapy, communication can be both a little more difficult and critical to achieving your goals. The best online counseling options offer more ways to communicate with less hassle.
As with all of its counseling, Talkspace offers a whole range of options for talking to your counselor. Their service includes text, phone, or video appointments. You’ll also be able to message your counselor between appointments.
Communication between each partner in a couple is also incredibly important. To help foster that sort of open communication Talkspace makes all messages available to both partners to view.
Talkspace will match you with a fully licensed counselor in your area. You can switch counselors at any time, as well as look for specialties to meet your specific needs.
Not only does online-therapy.com offer a full range of services, but it also offers guided activities. If you want to take concrete steps to improve your life, this service might be a good choice.
- Structured with worksheets and activities
- Once weekly appointments with a therapist
- Review past feedback at any time
- Security and confidentiality guaranteed
- Not available everywhere
Sometimes it is tough to measure progress in therapy, as changes tend to be gradual and diffuse throughout your life. As a result, motivation can sometimes fade over time.
Online-therapy.com is a full-service teletherapy platform. That means it offers texting communication, as well as regular appointments with a counselor over the phone or via video call. Something online-therapy.com adds to that standard recipe is a structured path.
As you work with your therapist, you work on modules and plan activities, always giving you a specific task or focus. Unlike a strict, traditional therapy approach, you can always see how far you’ve come.
Note that there is a very similarly named onlinetherapy.com. The dash makes a difference.
Doctor on Demand
Doctor on Demand is a full-spectrum healthcare platform. You have access to licensed psychologists and psychiatrists for mental health support, but you can also schedule telehealth services for other healthcare needs.
- Offers other forms of healthcare
- 24/7 coaching support
- Offers medication management
- Psychologists and Psychiatrists have an average of 15 years of experience
- No subscription service is available
- Video chat is the only form of communication
If you’re searching for a comprehensive medical team that can address your mental and physical health all within one company, Doctor on Demand might just be what you need. Doctor on Demand offers some of the best online therapy services alongside their medical care. On their site, you have access to chronic care, urgent care, preventative health, and behavioral health services.
With Doctor on Demand, you have access to the biographies of available therapists in your state so you can confidently choose your provider. Once you’ve chosen a therapist online, you can meet with them via video sessions. If you need medication, your psychiatrist can prescribe most medications at their discretion.
How To Find A Good Online Gender Therapy Near Me?
If you are feeling the discomfort of being another gender you are right now, it might be time to seek the help of gender therapists or transgender therapists online. So, what is the process on how to find a gender therapist? Here are a few tips.
- The first thing is you have to do research. Proper research will help you learn more about the therapist or company so that you only use the top-rated companies only.
- You also have to look at support groups mostly dealing with LGBT issues. You can be sure that someone might have had the same experience and shared the contact of the best online gender therapist
- Inquire more about the qualifications of gender identity or transgender therapist. If the therapist is willing to share certifications, it gives you more confidence in the service.
- Reputation is also important. Do not just pick the first therapist you come across. Look at what other people say about the therapist before making up your mind.
- What is the cost? Do you get value for the money? Understandably, therapy can be expensive. But always make sure you are getting value for money. That is where reading more reviews on the therapist can help.
What To Ask When You Meet A Gender Counselor?
Let us say you have been matched with a gender dysphoria therapist. What would you ask on the platform?
One of the biggest questions is that you should ask the gender therapist about their professional training. Talk more about their experience working with people having gender identity issues.
This part helps you know if the therapist has all the important training to help you deal with your mental health, feelings, or any more sex questions you might have on transgender.
Below are some other sample questions to keep in mind when you meet your gender therapist.
- What is the process and approach to helping someone with gender-based conflictions?
- How many sessions do I need to help me talk about my feelings, life, health, or anything on gender dysphoria?
- Am I supposed to commit to a certain number of sessions per week to get better?
- What is your success rate with people who experience gender dysphoria? Are there any reviews about your services?
- Are there any LGBT resources you can give me in my area or community?
So, the questions are likely to differ from person to person. What is important is that you are open when seeking counseling. This helps a lot in ensuring you can get the help that you need.
What Is Gender Dysphoria?
Gender dysphoria can be described as a feeling of discomfort in someone who wants to be identified as a different gender than the sex assigned when born. This can also make them feel their gender role is a mismatch.
Previously, gender dysphoria was labeled as a gender identity disorder. However, that has changed over time. Right now, the American Psychiatric Association classifies it under the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders or DSM-5. This has made it possible for people to understand it better. It is why you can now search for a gender dysphoria therapist near me on Google and get one right away.
Some people now have a better experience with gender dysphoria and their sessions and data have proven to be useful. Below, we look at the symptoms and causes of gender dysphoria to help you know when it is time to get a therapist for yourself.
Symptoms Of Gender Dysphoria
Symptoms of gender dysphoria can quickly change how you live your life. It is why you need to learn more about the symptoms and know when it is time to get counseling from gender therapists.
Here are some of the things you may experience. Keep in mind they may vary from person to person.
- You can experience a feeling of difference between your assigned gender at birth with what you feel is the inner gender identity. This feeling of difference can last over six months. This is likely to lead to depression and anxiety in some individuals as they might be confused.
- Some are likely to experience the desire to get rid of their primary sex characteristics. This would mostly occur in young adolescents who are now starting to know more about themselves and having feelings about each other. This confusion would also make someone experience anxiety and depression.
- You would still want to be treated as the other gender than what you are when you were born. A good example is a man feeling that he should be treated as a woman. That might not always happen for most people.
- Gender dysphoria might also lead to impairment or distress in some aspects of life. This includes socializing or even not handling your occupation better than before.
Gender dysphoria mostly starts when you are young, but it will manifest itself when you are an adolescent and turning into an adult. Some might experience short periods of gender dysphoria then the absence of the condition. That is how some seek the help of a mental health professional thinking they might be going crazy.
What Causes Gender Dysphoria?
Gender identity counseling and transitioning can only work once you understand the causes of gender dysphoria.
The exact causes are yet to be understood completely. However, they can all be linked to a few factors someone may experience in their body. These factors include genetics, hormonal changes during prenatal development, and sometimes environmental factors can also influence the development of gender dysphoria.
A good example is when a parent is exposed to some chemicals that might disrupt the normal sex determination development, it can lead to such issues later in life. That is not all as it can still affect the well-being and health of children during early development.
More research shows that there is a genetic link too to having gender dysphoria. And it can be more prevalent in identical twins compared to fraternal twins.
Normally, children are raised based on their physical anatomy. That is how we determine the sex of a child. This subsequently leads to how we raise them over the years. However, at some point during their adolescent stage, that is when some might feel a mismatch between how they are raised and their inner sex identity. That is when gender representation can become a problem.
Online gender therapy plays an important role in helping a person fully understand their gender identity and handle any gender dysphoria confusion that might come along. Since gender dysphoria can sometimes be overwhelming on your mental health, it is also good to seek the help of mental health professionals to handle your situation better.
The best part about talking to a gender therapist online is that you will not have to worry so much about someone judging you all the time. You can also get counseling without worrying much about privacy issues. Sometimes you can also get a gender therapist online free. It all depends on how well you do your research.
Frequently Asked Questions
The price depends on the company you choose. The average cost is $40 to $90 per week. It is best to do a comparison to get a good deal.
Some feel safe when using online therapy. And they also feel it works too. So, you can always try it out for the first month to see how it works out for you before concluding more about online therapy.
It is possible to get free online counseling. The resources might be limited, but you can always get help online for free. With a quick search on Google, you can access several free resources.
You may have to do more research to understand what a good therapist entails. Also, ask your friends or join forums on LGBT to help learn more about the best gender therapists available.
Not always. Most insurance companies do not cover gender therapy. So, inquire from your insurance company first.
Yes. Other than online therapy options, there are many other traditional therapy options too. This is for those who love a face-to-face therapy session.
+ 4 sources
Health Canal avoids using tertiary references. We have strict sourcing guidelines and rely on peer-reviewed studies, academic researches from medical associations and institutions. To ensure the accuracy of articles in Health Canal, you can read more about the editorial process here
- Lurye, L.E., Zosuls, K.M. and Ruble, D.N. (2008). Gender identity and adjustment: Understanding the impact of individual and normative differences in sex typing. New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development, [online] 2008(120), pp.31–46. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2661758/.
- Koh J (2012). [The history of the concept of gender identity disorder]. Seishin shinkeigaku zasshi = Psychiatria et neurologia Japonica, [online] 114(6). Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22844818/.
- Regier, D.A., Kuhl, E.A. and Kupfer, D.J. (2013). The DSM-5: Classification and criteria changes. World Psychiatry, [online] 12(2), pp.92–98. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3683251/.
- Garima Garg, Ghada Elshimy and Raman Marwaha (2020). Gender Dysphoria. [online] Nih.gov. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK532313/.