The article is a subjective view on this topic written by writers specializing in medical writing.
It may reflect on a personal journey surrounding struggles with an illness or medical condition, involve product comparisons, diet considerations, or other health-related opinions.
Although the view is entirely that of the writer, it is based on academic experiences and scientific research they have conducted; it is fact-checked by a team of degreed medical experts, and validated by sources attached to the article.
The numbers in parenthesis (1,2,3) will take you to clickable links to related scientific papers.
Resistance Bands For Weight Loss: 7 Exercises To Burn Fat Effectively In 2023
If you’ve used resistance bands before, then you understand how cost-effective and versatile these pieces of workout equipment are. They come in a variety of shapes, colors, and sizes, both with handles and without. Resistance band workouts help with weight loss by generally triggering muscle fibers to work hard and adding resistance to your movements. In turn, you enjoy a toned-up physique and stronger muscle mass.
Incorporating resistance band exercises and fat-burning pills into your daily routine will not only stave off boredom – it can help you lose excess fat and improve your strength. And there’s no need to worry about any age limitations. These essential workout tools are recommended for people of all fitness levels, ages, and genders.
7 Best Resistance Band Exercises To Lose Weight
The following are seven of the most effective resistance band workouts for weight loss:
- Single-Leg Deadlift
- Plank hold
- Hip Flexion
- Reverse crunch
- Bicycle crunches
- Hamstring curls
7 Best Workouts Using Resistance Bands For Weight Loss
For this exercise, you’ll need a resistance band with handles. Your target areas are your quads, hamstrings, hips, glutes, and lower abs.
How To Do A Single-Leg Deadlift
- Position the band beneath your right foot’s arch. Maintain a firm grip on the handles of your resistance band as you pull it toward your chest. Keep your chest out, roll your shoulders back, and stand with feet hip-width apart.
- Raise your left foot back at a 90-degree angle while bending your right knee slightly. Bend your torso (upper body) a little as you try to make it aligned with the floor.
- Hold the pose for about 5 seconds and resume the starting position.
- Do the same for the other leg and back it up with three sets of ten reps.
This is one of the best lower body exercises that essentially targets your shoulders, glutes, middle back, lower back, and abs.
How To Do A Plank Hold
- Grab your resistance band and wrap it around your waist. With both knees and palms on the floor, ease your fingers into the handles.
- Position yourself in a press-up position with your legs outstretched and your palms on your workout mat.
- Maintain this position for approximately 30 seconds to a minute.
- For faster results, perform three sets of this exercise every day.
This exercise targets your lower abs, hamstrings, quads, and glutes. You’ll need an ankle resistance band for this particular resistance band workout.
How To Do A Hip Flexion
- Place one of the ankle attachments on your left leg and fasten the other end to a firm object, such as the leg of a cot or table.
- Face the opposite side of the cot and ensure the distance between your left leg and the cot is enough for you to feel the impedance.
- Place your right foot ahead and bend your knees slightly. Stretch your left elbow and move your right fist close to your chest. Extend your left arm behind your back.
- Raise your left leg, stretch your right knee, then kick it up. Stretch your right elbow, then move your right arm to your chest. Stretch your left arm behind your back. Doing so will help you complete your entire movement with precision and stability.
- Lower your left leg, then move it to the original position.
- Repeat the same with the right leg. Perform 12 reps at least three times.
The reverse crunch workout targets your quads, hamstrings, glutes, upper abs, middle abs, and lower abs. It helps to flatten your belly and keep you in shape. The best type of band for this workout is the ankle resistance band.
How To Do A Reverse Crunch
- At the middle of your ankle resistance band, tie nylon. You can either tie it to the lower area of a door or on the leg of a table.
- Next, wrap the band around both of your ankles and lie flat on the floor as you face the door. Your legs should be slightly apart, your feet on the floor, and your knees bent. Position your hands by your side and your palms on the floor. Ensure there’s sufficient distance between your legs and the cot/door. Consider this your starting position.
- Breathe out and raise your feet off the floor. Keep your knees bent, then raise them closer to your chest. Your back should be flat on the floor as you do this.
- Breathe in and stretch out your legs slowly away from your chest. Your legs shouldn’t touch the floor. Perform 12 sets of the reverse crunch at least three times.
Bicycle crunches target your upper body areas like quads, hamstrings, lats, glutes, abs, and obliques. You’ll need a flat loop band for this resistance band workout.
How To Do Bicycle Crunches
- Place the mini continuous loop band on the top part of your shoes, such as on your shoelaces.
- Position your back flat on the floor and bend your knees as you keep your feet flat on the floor.
- Support your head with your fingertips, your thumbs behind your ears, and the rest of the fingers on the midpoint of your head. Keep your arms straight throughout as you keep your head elevated. This should be your starting position.
- Raise your legs from the ground and begin pedaling an invisible bicycle. In other words, extend your right leg as you bring the right one toward your chest. While doing this, move your body to your left, then move your right elbow to the right knee.
- Stretch your left leg. At the same time, bend your right knee and move it toward your chest. Move your body to the right, then move the left elbow closer to your left knee. Perform two sets of bicycle crunches, 15 reps each.
Hamstring curls mainly target three parts of your body: the glutes, quads, and hamstrings. You’ll need a tube resistance band that has an ankle attachment for this workout. It’s one of the best resistance bands for your upper arms and weight loss in general.
How To Do Hamstring Curls
- Fasten your resistance band to your table or cot, then place the ankle attachment on your left ankle.
- Lie down flat on your stomach, stretch your arms forward, and place them on top of the other. Rest your chin on top of your folded hands. Consider this your starting position.
- Raise your left leg to a point where your shin stands perpendicular to the ground.
- Gradually lower your leg to the starting position.
- Do the same for the right leg. Perform three sets of hamstring curls, each having 15 reps.
Performing lunges strengthens your hamstrings, quads, and glutes. You’ll need a resistance band with handles for this particular workout.
How To Do Lunges
- Place your resistance band under the curve of your left foot. Move forward by a single step using your left foot. Bend your knees slightly as you flex your elbows while keeping your hands near your shoulder blades. Consider this your starting position.
- Go down on the right knee. Ensure your left shin is aligned with your left thigh.
- Resume the starting position, then raise your right leg behind you.
- Plant your right foot on the ground, then lunge down.
- Do the same for your right leg. Perform two sets of lunges, 12 reps each.
As you’ve noticed throughout this article, there are different types of resistance bands for weight loss. Each of them is easy on your wallet and perfect for strength training and targeting every muscle group.
What’s even better is that resistance band training is easy to adopt. You can choose to lose fat with all the exercises listed above or just pick out the ones you’re comfortable with.
In addition to these workouts, ensure you include other forms of exercise, including push-ups, shoulder presses, and cardio workouts. Maintain a healthy diet and ensure you get some quality sleep (at least 7 to 8 hours).
Your mental health is also of utmost importance. Lessen your emotional fatigue by spending time alone and performing deep meditations.
Make these a daily part of your routine, and you stand a greater chance of regaining your emotional strength, and body composition and reaping the biggest benefits from your resistance workouts.
+ 2 sources
Health Canal avoids using tertiary references. We have strict sourcing guidelines and rely on peer-reviewed studies, academic researches from medical associations and institutions. To ensure the accuracy of articles in Health Canal, you can read more about the editorial process here
- Santos, J., Aryane Flauzino Machado, Jéssica Kirsch Micheletti, Novais, A., Allysiê Priscila Cavina and Carlos Marcelo Pastre (2019). Effects of training with elastic resistance versus conventional resistance on muscular strength: A systematic review and meta-analysis. [online] 7, p.205031211983111-205031211983111. doi:https://doi.org/10.1177/2050312119831116.
- Kwak, C.-J., You Chan Kim and Lee, S. (2016). Effects of elastic-band resistance exercise on balance, mobility and gait function, flexibility and fall efficacy in elderly people. [online] 28(11), pp.3189–3196. doi:https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.28.3189.