This article is reviewed by a team of registered dietitians and medical doctors with extensive, practical clinical and public health experience.
10 Best Vitamin A Supplement [UK] 2023: Top Brands Reviews
All articles are produced independently. When you click our links for purchasing products, we earn an affiliate commission. Learn more about how we earn revenue by reading our advertise disclaimer.
Peak Performance Raw Whole Food Vitamin A Capsules
- Made from whole food sources.
- Contains 10,000 IU of Vitamin A.
- Easy to consume.
- Offers reliable antioxidant support.
- Rigorously tested for purity and potency.
- Suitable for those with dietary restrictions.
Pure Encapsulations Vitamin A
- Stomach-friendly hypoallergenic formula.
- Capsules are tested to meet strict quality standards.
- Contains carotenoids
Vitamin A is one of the most important fat-soluble micronutrients and plays a major role in enhancing the quality of life and boosting your overall health. There are two forms of vitamin A: preformed vitamin A and provitamin A. The former is mostly present in animal-based foods such as dairy products, poultry, fish, etc., while the latter is present in plant-based food sources.
Though it’s present in several food sources, most consumers opt to supplement most frequently with vitamin A due to its rich antioxidant and eye health benefits. However, too much vitamin A can be toxic, and some studies suggest that vitamin A should be a prescription drug, so read labels carefully. This article will explore 10 of the best vitamin A supplements, their benefits, and their effects on your body.
Best Vitamin A Supplements In UK (December. 2023)
- Peak Performance Raw Whole Food Vitamin A Capsules – Best Quality
- GNC Beta-Carotene – Best Packaging
- Pure Encapsulations Vitamin A – Best Vision Support
- Klaire Labs Micellized Vitamin A Liquid – Best Liquid
- Swanson Vitamin A – Best Cod Liver Oil
- Puritan’s Pride Beta-Carotene – Best Value
- Nature’s Way Vitamin A – Best Eco-Friendly Supplement
- Nordic Naturals Arctic Cod Liver Oil – Best Flavor
- Pure TheraPro Rx Vegan A-D-K Full Spectrum Drops – Best Vitamin Content
- NOW Foods Vitamin A 10,000 IU – Best Non-GMO
Who Should Use Vitamin A?
Vitamin A benefits a wide group of people. Older people who seek to slow down aging should apply retinol or vitamin A on their skin to improve flexibility and color and reduce wrinkles. If you have white patches in your mouth from prolonged smoking or oral leukoplakia, you can take high doses of vitamin A topically to treat the lesions.
Pregnant women should boost their vitamin A consumption both during and after pregnancy if breastfeeding occurs. This will help reduce a higher death rate from infectious diarrhea and other infectious diseases during and after childbirth from a depressed immune system. Lactation requires the highest amount of vitamin A at 1,300 micrograms or 4,329 International Units.
Do you have a problem with your vision? Vitamins will help treat any inherited eye condition that might bring about loss of side vision and poor night vision. Take vitamin A by mouth to decelerate the advancement of an eye disease which might cause further damage to the retina.
10 Best Vitamin A Supplements In UK 2023
Peak Performance Raw Whole Food Vitamin A Capsules provide Vitamin A in the form of retinyl palmitate derived from whole food sources and containing 5,000 International Units (1.5 milligrams) per serving.
- Vegan formulated supplement.
- Supports eye and skin health.
- Boosts immune system.
- Made from raw, whole food.
- Vague ingredient listing.
Peak Performance Raw Whole Food Vitamin A Capsule is the best vitamin A supplement and is a must-try for anyone looking to improve their overall health and wellness. The capsules are made with ingredients free from genetically modified organisms or Non-GMO, are vegan are made by a trusted brand committed to providing high-quality supplements.
This supplement is convenient and unique providing a high dose of Vitamin A sourced directly from whole food sources. This means that the Vitamin A in these capsules is derived from natural food sources, such as carrots, sweet potatoes, and spinach, rather than synthetic sources. This can help to ensure that the Vitamin A in this supplement is well-absorbed and utilized by the body since synthetic vitamins are difficult for your body to absorb.
The specific amount of Vitamin A per serving in Peak Performance Raw Whole Food Vitamin A Capsules is not specified on their website or product packaging. It is always best to consult the product label or contact the manufacturer for specific information regarding the Vitamin A content in their supplements.
GNC Beta-Carotene is a dietary supplement that provides beta-carotene, a plant-based form of Vitamin A. It is designed to support overall health and wellness, including healthy vision, skin, and immune function.
- Available in both capsule and softgel forms.
- Eco-friendly compact design.
- Supports healthy skin, vision, and immune function.
- Yellowing of the skin when taken in high amounts.
- Provides 833% of the Daily Value.
GNC Beta-Carotene Vitamin A Supplement is a dietary supplement that provides a source of Vitamin A, an essential nutrient for overall health. One capsule of GNC Beta-Carotene Vitamin A Supplement supplies exactly 25,000 IU of Vitamin A, which is sourced directly from 15 milligrams of beta-carotene.
Beta-carotene is a type of carotenoid, a naturally occurring pigment found in plants, which the body can convert into Vitamin A. This supplement is formulated for easy absorption and assimilation by the body. It’s also a good option for vegans and vegetarians, as it doesn’t contain any animal-derived ingredients.
Regarding packaging, the supplement comes in a bottle containing 100 softgel capsules. The bottle is compact and easy to store, making it convenient for those who are always on the go.
Overall, GNC Beta-Carotene Vitamin A Supplement’s formulation, easy absorption, and affordable price make it a great option for those looking to support their overall health and well-being. However, ensure you consult a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement regimen.
Pure Encapsulations Vitamin A
Pure Encapsulations Vitamin A is a high-quality supplement made with pure, hypoallergenic ingredients. It is designed to provide the body with an optimal amount of vitamin A, which is important for maintaining good health and wellness.
- Packed with high vision support nutrients (carotenoids).
- 100% gluten-free.
- Void of harmful allergens.
- Somewhat expensive.
- High vitamin A dosage (167%DV).
Pure Encapsulations vitamin A is a highly recommended supplement among most healthcare experts. The brand has employed many third-party testing labs such as Advanced Laboratories, Intertek, Silliker, and Eurofins to authenticate their supplements.
Pure Encapsulations contains exactly 1,500mcg of vitamin A per serving. Ingredients used include carotenoids such as 500 milligrams of zeaxanthin, 3 milligrams of lutein, and 500 milligrams of astaxanthin. . You should ideally take one capsule per day.
Carotenoids protect against cellular damage, are antioxidants, prevent premature aging and even protect against some chronic diseases. Vitamin A and zeaxanthin synergistically blend together to create a more profound cellular effect.
To lower your chances of vitamin A toxicity, we recommend that you take Pure Encapsulations vitamin A under the supervision of a qualified healthcare professional.
Klaire Labs Micellized Vitamin A Liquid
Klaire Labs Micellized Vitamin A Liquid contains several essential ingredients such as citric acid, purified water, and glycerin. You can add the drops to your food/drink or take them directly to your tongue.
- Produced in cGMP-certified facilities.
- High vitamin A concentration.
- Micellized to enhance absorption.
- Not third-party tested.
- High level of vitamin A (167%DV).
Klaire Labs is a popular supplement brand that is highly recommended by healthcare professionals. All their products are made exclusively in facilities that comply with the Current Good Manufacturing Practices, or cGMP, authorized by the Food and Drug Administration.
Klaire Labs’ Micellized Vitamin A Liquid supplement is highly absorbable, allergen-free, and offers up to 167% of the daily value for vitamin A in each drop. ‘Micellized’, in this case, describes the chemical process that converts some compounds into an absorbable form. The micellization process thereby makes this supplement easy to consume and readily acceptable in your bloodstream.
Some ingredients in Klaire Labs micellized vitamin A Liquid include potassium sorbate, citric acid, polyethoxylated castor oil, glycerin, and pure water. It’s free of allergens such as eggs, tree nuts, wheat, etc., preservatives, and flavors. This supplement isn’t advisable if you’re currently on prescription drugs, nursing, pregnant, or battling any medical condition without first consulting your primary care physician.
Swanson Vitamin A
Swanson Vitamin A is perfect for anyone looking for a vitamin A softgel sourced directly from cod liver oil and vitamin A palmitate. Its low cost and high quality make it preferable for all backgrounds of consumers.
- Very affordable.
- Third-party tested.
- Transparent ingredients.
- Unsuitable for vegetarians and vegans.
To boost absorption, this supplement is enriched with soybean oil and contained in a softgel capsule. All products by Swanson are third-party tested to guarantee high quality. Among the benefits of Swanson vitamin A are enhancement of eye health, maintenance of immune health, improvement of hair/skin health, and bone health support.
One of the downfalls of Swanson Vitamin A is its potency. Each capsule contains 3,000 mcg or 10,000 IU of vitamin A, providing greater than 100% of the recommended daily value for all ages and sexes, thus increasing its potential for toxicity. However, an advantage of this supplement is its affordability. Compared to other brands, Swanson Vitamin A is reasonably priced and offers excellent value for money. This makes it a popular choice for anyone looking for an affordable and high-quality vitamin A supplement.
Puritan’s Pride Beta-Carotene
Puritan’s Pride Beta-Carotene is a vitamin A supplement that is made from 3,000 mcg of beta-carotene and offered in a convenient capsule form.
- Fairly affordable.
- Maintains overall health.
- Easy to incorporate into a daily routine.
- Interacts negatively with medications.
- Slightly ineffective compared to other vitamin A forms.
Puritan’s Pride is a well-established brand that is dedicated to providing high-quality supplements at fairly affordable prices. All of their products are manufactured in an FDA-registered facility and are subject to rigorous quality control standards. Puritan’s Pride Beta-Carotene offers a high dose of beta-carotene, a precursor to vitamin A.
Beta-Carotene is a powerful antioxidant that helps to protect the body from damage caused by free radicals. Beta-carotene is synthesized into vitamin A in the body, which is essential for maintaining good health, including supporting healthy vision, skin, and immune function.
Puritan’s Pride Beta-Caroten is a potent precursor to vitamin A supplement with a dose of 3,000 mcg or 10,000 IU per serving. This supplement provides a high dose of beta-carotene that can help to support overall health and wellness. It’s also void of harmful allergens like gluten, dairy, and soy, making it a suitable choice for anyone with dietary restrictions.
One of the benefits of taking beta carotene is you won’t suffer from vitamin A toxicity. Only enough beta carotene is converted into vitamin A as needed. While excessive beta carotene may turn your skin yellow, it will not build up in your tissues as vitamin A will.
Nature’s Way Vitamin A
Nature’s Way comes in containers produced from environmentally- friendly recycled plastic. It has the Compact by Design Amazon certification, meaning the company discards excess water and air to lower its carbon footprint throughout packing and shipping.
- Offers potent antioxidant protection.
- Supports a healthy immune system.
- Encourages cellular integrity.
- Slightly expensive.
- Contains an excessive amount of vitamin A (333%DV).
Nature’s Way Vitamin A is a dietary supplement that provides 3,000 mcg in the form of fish liver oil. It is made with high-quality, pure ingredients and is free of artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. It is available in easy-to-swallow softgels that you can take daily to support overall health and wellness.
One of the benefits of Nature’s Way Vitamin A is its potency. Each softgel contains a whopping 10,000 IU of vitamin A, providing greater than 333% of the recommended daily value. This makes it a convenient and effective way to ensure that you get more than enough of this important nutrient in your diet.
Nature’s Way is a trusted brand that is known for its commitment to using only the highest-quality ingredients in its products. This ensures that you are getting a high-quality supplement that is safe, effective, and free of contaminants, although there is no indication it has been lab tested.
Regarding taste, odor, and consistency, Nature’s Way vitamin A has received positive feedback from users. The softgels are easy to swallow, and there are no reports of any unpleasant aftertaste or side effects.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Nordic Naturals Arctic Cod Liver Oil
Nordic Naturals is among the most well-known omega-3 fish oil brands available in the market today. This third-party tested soft gel is sourced sustainably from Atlantic cod.
- Third-party tested.
- Sourced sustainably.
- Transparent ingredients.
- Low vitamin A per serving.
- Unsuitable for vegetarians and vegans.
Nordic Naturals Arctic Cod Liver Oil is a dietary supplement made from the livers of cod fish that live in the Arctic waters. It is naturally rich in vitamins A and D (although you won’t find them on the label) as well as omega-3 fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid or EPA, and docosahexaenoic acid or DHA.
This product is manufactured using a unique, two-step process that ensures high levels of purity and potency. It is also third-party tested for contaminants such as heavy metals, dioxins, and PCBs, to ensure that it is safe for consumption.
The benefits of taking Nordic Naturals Arctic Cod Liver Oil include support for healthy immune function, cardiovascular health, joint health, and brain function. It is also said to help maintain healthy skin and vision and to support healthy pregnancy and lactation.
Nordic Naturals Arctic Cod Liver Oil is available in liquid and softgel form, and it has a natural, fresh lemon flavor that helps to mask any fishy aftertaste that is common with cod liver oil supplements.
Pure TheraPro Rx Vegan A-D-K Full Spectrum Drops
Pure TheraPro Rx Vegan A-D-K Full Spectrum Drops is a dietary supplement that provides a blend of vitamins A, D, and K. It is designed for individuals who follow a vegan diet and is formulated without animal-derived ingredients.
- Convenient liquid form.
- Soy-free, vegan, non-GMO.
- Third-party tested.
- Not a single-nutrient supplement.
- Some may find it unpalatable.
Pure TheraPro Rx Vegan A-D-K Full Spectrum Drops is a dietary supplement that provides a vegan source of vitamins A, D, and K. These three vitamins play important roles in maintaining overall health, including supporting healthy bones, immune function, and cardiovascular health.
Pure TheraPro Rx Vegan A-D-K Full Spectrum Drops contain high-quality, bioavailable forms of each vitamin. This makes it a highly effective supplement that can help to support overall health and wellness. This supplement is available in a convenient liquid form, which makes it easy to add to your daily routine. Simply add five drops to your favorite beverage or food, and you’re good to go with 1507 mcg of vitamin A (167%DV), 125 mcg of vitamin D (666% DV), and 682 mcg of K2.
NOW Foods Vitamin A 10,000 IU
NOW Foods Vitamin A 10,000 IU is a dietary supplement that provides a high dose of vitamin A. It is available in a softgel form and is intended to support overall health and wellness.
- Soy-free and non-GMO.
- Third-party certified by Underwriter Laboratories.
- Not ideal for vegetarians or vegans.
NOW Foods Vitamin A is a dietary supplement designed to provide essential support for eye, skin, and immune system health. It is formulated with 10,000 IU of Vitamin A in each capsule and is made using natural and pure ingredients, making it suitable for vegans and vegetarians. The Vitamin A used in the supplement is derived from natural sources such as beta-carotene and is in a form that is easily absorbed by the body.
One of the benefits and disadvantages of NOW Foods Vitamin A 10,000 IU is its potency. With a dose of 10,000 IU per serving, this supplement provides an excessively high dose of vitamin A that may help to support overall health and wellness, but take care not to get vitamin A from other dietary supplements, such as a multivitamin.
It is also free of common allergens, such as gluten, dairy, and soy, making it a suitable choice for individuals with dietary restrictions.
Who Should Stay Away From Vitamin A?
Vitamin A at levels greater than 3,000 mcg can cause birth defects, so if you are pregnant, are thinking of getting pregnant, have a medical condition, or are on any medications, consult your healthcare provider before starting any new supplements. Also, avoid liver products and liver due to their naturally high vitamin A content.
Children should also avoid these vitamin A supplements since their needs are much lower, and the amounts in these supplements are too high for children. The tolerable upper limit (the level at which adverse events might occur) for vitamin A for adults is 3,000 mcg or 10,000 IU.
Older men and menopausal women need 900 mcg and 700 mcg, respectively, of vitamin A per day, just like their young counterparts. However, this is a much lower requirement than most of these supplements contain and may contribute to osteoporosis. It’s important that you be aware of the amount of vitamin A packed in any supplement before taking it.
People with heart and blood conditions should take care in taking fish-based oils, including cod liver oil, due to potential drug interactions. For example, there may be an increased risk of bleeding for those on anticoagulants.
You should also avoid Vitamin A supplements if you’re on medication as they can interact with certain medications and lead to harmful side effects. For instance, Vitamin A supplements can interfere with the efficacy of blood-thinning medications, increasing the risk of bleeding.
How To Choose The Best Vitamin A Capsules?
The following are a couple of trusted ways to pick out the best vitamin A capsules:
If you only require vitamin A, your first instinct will be to settle for a vitamin A-only supplement. If you’re, however, looking to purchase a more natural and well-rounded alternative, you’re better off purchasing cod liver oil. Anyone seeking to consume vitamin A for the benefit of their eyesight should opt for a supplement that’s made specifically for vision support.
If possible, settle for a supplement that has undergone thorough third-party testing to ascertain product quality. Quality third-party checks help to ensure that the brand you’re purchasing really contains the ingredients indexed on the label and that they’re 100% safe to consume.
Seek out a supplement that’s packed with extra ingredients, such as fat in oil form, that will help in the absorption of vitamin A, among other fat-soluble vitamins. Typically, your preferred vitamin A capsules should also consist of limited amounts of additives like fillers, preservatives, etc.
Nutritional Needs And Preferences
Ensure you carefully go through the ingredient label to ascertain that your preferred product matches whatever dietary preferences or needs you may have, including a food allergy.
If you feel like you’re not getting adequate amounts of vitamin A, that may be due to a lower nutritional diet or a health condition. In that case, we recommend any of the above supplements. These will help fill any nutritional gaps and elevate your health levels. Even though it’s super rare to hear about vitamin A toxicity claims, you’re better off talking to a health professional before trying out any vitamin supplement.
Frequently Asked Questions
As a man, you should ideally consume about 900 micrograms of vitamin A. For adult women, the recommended dosage is 700 micrograms.
There’s no difference between the vitamin A present in cod liver oil and synthetic vitamin A. Cod liver oil is costlier since it comes with a host of other nutrients such as vitamins D and E.
Retinol, or preformed vitamin A, is the best to take. It’s packed with a variety of nutrients, such as fatty acids, that boost the vitamin’s effectiveness and absorbability.
Yes, they do. Vitamin A supplements mostly benefit people with poor diets or anyone with a medical condition that is treatable only by consistent vitamin A intake.
+ 12 sources
Health Canal avoids using tertiary references. We have strict sourcing guidelines and rely on peer-reviewed studies, academic researches from medical associations and institutions. To ensure the accuracy of articles in Health Canal, you can read more about the editorial process here
- Albahrani, A.A. and Greaves, R.F. (2016). Fat-Soluble Vitamins: Clinical Indications and Current Challenges for Chromatographic Measurement. The Clinical biochemist. Reviews, [online] 37(1), pp.27–47. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4810759/.
- Hamishehkar, H., Ranjdoost, F., Asgharian, P., Mahmoodpoor, A. and Sanaie, S. (2016). Vitamins, Are They Safe? Advanced Pharmaceutical Bulletin, [online] 6(4), pp.467–477. doi:https://doi.org/10.15171/apb.2016.061.
- Mohammed, F. and Fairozekhan, A.T. (2022). Oral Leukoplakia. [online] Nih.gov. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK442013/.
- Epstein, J.B. and Gorsky, M. (1999). Topical application of vitamin A to oral leukoplakia. Cancer, [online] 86(6), pp.921–927. doi:https://doi.org/10.1002/(sici)1097-0142(19990915)86:6%3C921::aid-cncr5%3E3.0.co;2-6.
- Nih.gov. (2017). Office of Dietary Supplements – Vitamin A and Carotenoids. [online] Available at: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminA-HealthProfessional/.
- Young, A. and Lowe, G. (2018). Carotenoids—Antioxidant Properties. Antioxidants, [online] 7(2), p.28. doi:https://doi.org/10.3390/antiox7020028.
- Azum, N., Rub, M.A., Khan, A., Alotaibi, M.M., Asiri, A.M. and Rahman, M.M. (2022). Mixed Micellization, Thermodynamic and Adsorption Behavior of Tetracaine Hydrochloride in the Presence of Cationic Gemini/Conventional Surfactants. Gels, [online] 8(2), p.128. doi:https://doi.org/10.3390/gels8020128.
- Lee, J., Park, S., Lim, H. and Ahn, J. (2011). Phase II study of a polyethoxylated castor oil–free, polymeric micelle formulation of paclitaxel for… [online] ResearchGate. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/313951826_Phase_II_study_of_a_polyethoxylated_castor_oil-free_polymeric_micelle_formulation_of_paclitaxel_for_patients_with_advanced_urothelial_cancer_previously_treated_with_gemcitabine_and_platinum.
- Refined Soybean, Sesame, and Olive Oils for the Pharmaceutical Industry. (n.d.). Available at: https://www.americanpharmaceuticalreview.com/Media/28/document/Refined-Soybean-Sesame-and-Olive-Oils-for-the-Pharmaceutical-Industry.pdf.
- Ludmila Urszula Bogacz-Radomska and Harasym, J. (2018). β-Carotene—properties and production methods. [online] ResearchGate. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/324521013_b-Carotene-properties_and_production_methods.
- Wang, C.-Z., Moss, J. and Yuan, C.-S. (2015). Commonly Used Dietary Supplements on Coagulation Function during Surgery. Medicines, [online] 2(3), pp.157–185. doi:https://doi.org/10.3390/medicines2030157.
- Moran, N.E. and Johnson, E.J. (2017). Closer to clarity on the effect of lipid consumption on fat-soluble vitamin and carotenoid absorption: do we need to close in further? The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, [online] 106(4), pp.969–970. doi:https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.117.165894.