The article is a subjective view on this topic written by writers specializing in medical writing.
It may reflect on a personal journey surrounding struggles with an illness or medical condition, involve product comparisons, diet considerations, or other health-related opinions.
Although the view is entirely that of the writer, it is based on academic experiences and scientific research they have conducted; it is fact-checked by a team of degreed medical experts, and validated by sources attached to the article.
The numbers in parenthesis (1,2,3) will take you to clickable links to related scientific papers.
Aura Smart Sleep Mask Review 2023: A Revolutionary Solution
- 100% blackout design.
- Hug 3D memory for comfort.
- Gradual sunrise feature for waking.
- Dreamscape app with relaxation tools.
- Washable material for hygiene.
- New Company — Aura Circle.
- Improved sleep.
- Reduced stress levels.
- Better mental health symptom management.
The Aura Smart Sleep Mask is a revolutionary product in sleep technology. Andy Chow and Adrian Wong founded it to help the growing number of people with sleep difficulties.
Currently, 50 to 70 million Americans have a sleep disorder, and 1 in 3 adults don’t get the recommended uninterrupted sleep every night. Even if you don’t have a sleep disorder, low-quality or simply insufficient sleep is common.
But with the Aura Smart Sleep Mask, you can dive into dream-like relaxation with soundscapes and ASMR features to help you fall asleep quicker — and sleep longer.
The mask was designed to tackle the challenges faced by those who suffer from insomnia or sleep-related problems, including nighttime anxiety. It takes a 360-degree approach with both sound and light therapy, promoting better sleep and overall wellness.
Aura Smart Sleep Mask
- 100% blackout fabric.
- Comfortable fit.
- Inbuilt soundscapes.
- Reliance on the Aura app.
Aura Smart Sleep Mask Reviews
Features & Design
The Aura Smart Sleep Mask is meticulously designed to give you not only the most comfortable sleep but also the most restful. Low-quality or simply insufficient sleep is common as well. It stands out with its comprehensive design, offering every feature needed for a restful sleep.
100% Blackout Capability
Unlike traditional masks, the Aura Smart Sleep Mask boasts a 100% blackout capability. Gone are the days of frustratingly pulling your mask down to avoid the morning sun to no avail.
The blackout can help you regulate your circadian rhythm, allowing you to fall asleep quicker. If you normally have trouble falling asleep quickly or regularly sleep in, the darkness can also help you sleep longer into the morning.
We sleep best in cool, comforting darkness, and the Aura can help you achieve this.
Eye Cushion Comfort
The mask also comes with a 3D eye cushion made of machine or hand-washable Hug 3D memory foam. It attaches magnetically to create a leak-free seal with plenty of room for your eyes and eyelashes.
There’s zero eye pressure and space to allow you to blink freely. Plus, the mask has a velcro strap that you can adjust precisely to your comfort level.
Relaxing Dreamscape App
You also get an app, Aura Dreamscape, which is designed to help you relax and restore your natural sleep rhythm.
The app includes ASMR, or the Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, which describes a relaxing tingling sensation in the crown of the head after listening to audio-visual triggers. This includes sounds such as tapping, whispering, and humming.
In total, you get a blissful blend of meditations enhanced with optional light therapy, ASMR, and nature sounds to calm your nervous system and ready you for deep sleep.
Calming Aromatherapy Liner
There’s even a disposable aromatherapy liner, Aroma Air, to diffuse essential oils. This is another great science-backed feature. Essential oils have been shown to reduce stress and anxiety, which can help you naturally fall asleep faster and achieve deeper sleep.
Sunrise Light Therapy
Lastly, you also get an impressive sunrise wake-up feature. The mask will gradually increase light when it’s time for you to wake up. This way, your body has time to adjust its hormones to prepare for wakefulness. You’ll also prevent any shock or unpleasantness from removing the mask to bright daylight.
The Aura Smart Sleep Mask combines many innovative features to take a holistic approach to healthier, easier sleep. You don’t have to worry about comfort with 100% blackout fabric, zero eye pressure design, and lightweight portability; you don’t have to worry about comfort.
With its gentle light therapy, immersive soundscapes, and guided meditations, you can reduce anxiety and stress associated with going to bed and waking up.
The Aura Smart Sleep Mask is made up of high-quality materials for durability and effectiveness. It has a machine or hand-washable Hug 3D memory foam eye cushion for a luxurious feel. It also attaches magnetically to ensure a leak-free seal from light disturbances.
The battery is also impressive, supporting 20 hours of continuous use or 500 hours of standby time. You can easily charge it with the included USB-C cable.
The Aura team also collaborated with leading experts and conducted countless hours of research to test and design the sleep mask. It’s meant to cater to even the most restless sleepers.
Its quality, thoughtful design, and use of premium materials work together to offer you a relaxing and restful sleep experience.
|Enhanced cognitive function and alertness||Concrete Evidence|
|Better mental health||Concrete Evidence|
|Improved healing||Concrete Evidence|
Enhanced Cognitive Function And Alertness
Effective eye masks can protect your sleep by allowing you to sleep longer and more deeply. Science shows our brains need sleep for alertness and encoding new information.
Studies have found that wearing an eye mask can facilitate next-day learning, thanks to more time spent in slow-wave sleep while wearing a mask.
Better Mental Health
A meta-analysis of sleep quality and mental health suggested that sleep is causally related to experiencing mental health difficulties. For example, people with insomnia are up to 17 times more likely to experience clinically significant levels of anxiety and 10 times more likely to experience depression.
Many studies have shown how stressful it can be to be exposed to light stimuli. Patients in care units, for example, are often at risk of sleep deprivation due to increased noise and light in the hospital. This, in turn, affects their ability to heal, as sleep is when our bodies rest and regenerate.
One study simply offered patients a sleep mask, and sleep quality improved. This is essential for healing as sleep deprivation is associated with increased blood pressure and heart rate. With eye masks and better quality sleep, the chances for recovery are higher.
Sleep deprivation is generally associated with chronic inflammation, an increased risk of disease, and autoimmune conditions. Non-medical therapies like eye masks, muscle relaxation, aromatherapy, and ear plugs can all enhance sleep quality and healing without serious side effects.
Aura Circle, the creator of the Aura Smart Sleep Mask, is relatively new to the market but already making an impact.
They’ve had a very successful Kickstarter campaign and raised around $150,000. If you compare this with their original goal of $19,887, it shows that the public believes in this company and its product. They have the confidence of 800 backers, and they’re already getting great reviews online.
Another important note is that the founder, Andy Chow, struggled with sleep problems for years. His dedication to the Aura Smart Sleep Mask was personally fueled for a better night’s sleep. Aura Circle’s mission to transform sleep for the masses speaks to the level of care and credibility of the brand.
Finally, they’ve also guaranteed a 12-month product warranty, showing their commitment to their product and customer satisfaction.
Available for preorder on Kickstarter at $159, the Aura Circle promises many features that justify its price.
It offers immersive sound and light therapy, a Hug 3D memory foam eye cushion, guided meditation, and relaxing soundtracks to help you fall asleep. Even the Aromia Airliner is a great added touch, giving you a sense of relaxation for better sleep.
Considering all its features and quality materials, it seems reasonable for a product that can help you sleep better. And, of course, better sleep offers dramatic health benefits.
Plus, it’s built to last. You won’t have to worry about it breaking or buying a new eye mask every year.
How Does This Revolutionary Sleep Mask Work?
The Aura Sleep Mask combines several features to help you fall asleep faster, sleep deeper, and wake up feeling refreshed. It works by using:
- 100% blackout material: Total darkness can help regulate your circadian rhythm by avoiding light disruptions. This can also let you develop a more consistent sleep routine. The Hug 3D memory foam eye cushion attaches magnetically, creating a leak-free seal with plenty of room for eyes and eyelashes.
- Immersive sound and light therapy: Including relaxing sounds or guided meditations can help you feel more relaxed and fall asleep more quickly and deeply. The Sunrise Light therapy also helps you to wake up gradually and prevents shock when you take it off in the morning. It uses an LED light beam to simulate morning light.
- Comfort and ease of use: The mask has an ergonomic design, allowing any sleeping position to be comfortable. Putting it on takes little effort, and it even has a velcro strap so you can adjust it to your liking.
- Dreamscape app: The app features many calming sounds and meditations to let you create your own personal nighttime routine.
You have to grab your phone, start the app, and put on the mask when you’re ready to wind down for the night or a nap. It’s simple to use and effective.
The Benefits Of Using Aura Smart Sleep Mask
We all know how terrible it feels to get even just a few nights of bad sleep. So, a portable device that can help you sleep longer and with better quality is going to have a huge range of benefits:
- Enhanced sleep quality: With its 100% blackout environment, you can help regulate your circadian rhythm and sleep cycle. Relaxing soundscapes and darkness are especially helpful in creating sleep nirvana.
- Increased relaxation: While getting enough sleep can help regulate your stress hormones, this mask goes above and beyond by helping you relax, too. Its guided meditations, and nature sounds can help you rest and recharge at any time of the day.
- Improved mental health: Levels of anxiety, depression, and sleep disorders are increasing. Fortunately, improving sleep quality can help to manage symptoms.
- Convenience and portability: An eye mask that offers relaxing soundscapes anywhere you are.
- Personalized experience: It’s not just an eye mask; it’s your own personal relaxation center — wherever you go.
Potential Risks And Challenges
As with any product, there are risks and challenges to consider, such as:
- Manufacturing delays: The critical components and fabrics have already been custom ordered with design validation samples built and verified. However, manufacturing delays can occur because of supply chain or quality control issues.
- Shipping delays: A risk of delays due to customs might be an issue for some countries. There are also logistical issues that might be beyond Aura Circle, as with the delivery of any product.
- Product performance: Individual preferences and experiences vary from user to user. While it might work great for some, you can’t be sure it will work for you.
- Regulatory approvals: The sleep mask has the FCC, CE, and UKAC certifications. However, other regulatory approvals may be needed in certain countries that could cause potential delays.
- Unforeseen challenges: Since it’s a new product, there’s always the risk of an unforeseen challenge popping up. It could be related to usage or even just production and shipping.
These potential issues are common for most products out there. The Aura team has clarified that they’re committed to offering proactive problem-solving service and a remarkable product.
They seem to take the necessary steps to mitigate issues and offer their customers the best service possible.
How To Use Aura Smart Sleep Mask
The Aura Smart Sleep Mask is easy to use. To start:
- Turn the power on and pair your Bluetooth mask.
- Select your soundscape, ASMR, or guided meditation.
- Choose gentle light therapy or total darkness.
- Adjust the settings to your liking, such as the volume and light intensity.
- Put the mask on, adjusting the velcro to fit your head comfortably.
- Close your eyes and relax with one of the soundscapes.
- Wake up refreshed with the gradual sunrise wake-up feature.
Aura Smart Sleep Mask Customer Reviews – What Do Real Users Say?
Since the Aura Smart Sleep Mask still isn’t out yet, most comments are about general usage and delivery questions, as well as excitement.
What a great product! I can’t wait to use it. Great work.A. Elibiary
Very excited for the sleep but also the guided meditation (huge plus!). Can you advise regarding the app, will this require a monthly subscription? If so what fee would that be?D. Sessions
The response states that no monthly subscription fee is required.
The Aura Smart Sleep Mask created by Aura Circle is a cutting-edge eye mask designed to improve sleep quality. It combines light therapy, relaxing soundscapes, and aromatherapy to promote relaxation. The mask also focuses heavily on comfort and ease of use, with a Hug 3D memory foam eye cushion that’s machine or hand-washable.
For anyone who struggles with sleep, the total blackout feature and calming sounds can enable you to fall asleep more quickly and sleep more deeply. Naturally, improved sleep quality can lead to many health benefits, like improved mental health, immunity, and cognitive function.
The Aura Smart Sleep Mask is a new product set to start shipping worldwide in November 2023. It’s available for preorder on Kickstart at $159. While there aren’t any user reviews yet, the strong backing they’ve received shows interest and trust in this product.
Overall, the Aura Smart Sleep Mask appears to offer helpful sleep solutions for people looking to improve their quality of sleep. And as we all know the difference a good night’s rest can make, it seems like a product worth considering.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Stress or light affects our circadian rhythm and can make us fall asleep later, worsen our quality of sleep, or wake us up earlier than our bodies need.
Anyone seeking a deeper, more relaxed sleep can benefit from a sleep mask. This is especially true if you are sensitive to light or struggling with anxiety and insomnia.
Yes, as long as it’s comfortable and you wash it regularly. The Aura Sleep Mask is great for regular use.
The Aura Sleep Mask is washable, so you can clean it easily.
Some potential disadvantages could be not finding it comfortable or the hassle of having to clean it regularly.
Ideally, you’d wear your sleeping mask from the moment you want to start trying to fall asleep until you naturally wake up.
+ 13 sources
Health Canal avoids using tertiary references. We have strict sourcing guidelines and rely on peer-reviewed studies, academic researches from medical associations and institutions. To ensure the accuracy of articles in Health Canal, you can read more about the editorial process here
- NHLBI, NIH. (2021). Sleep Health. [online] Available at: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/education-and-awareness/sleep-health.
- Poerio, G., Blakey, E., Hostler, T.J. and Veltri, T. (2018). More than a feeling: Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR) is characterized by reliable changes in affect and physiology. PLOS ONE, [online] 13(6), pp.e0196645–e0196645. doi:https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0196645.
- Chamine, I. and Oken, B. (2015). Expectancy of Stress-Reducing Aromatherapy Effect and Performance on a Stress-Sensitive Cognitive Task. Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, [online] 2015, pp.1–10. doi:https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/419812.
- Greco, V., Bergamo, D., Cuoccio, P., Konkoly, K., Lombardo, K.M. and Lewis, P.A. (2022). Wearing an eye mask during overnight sleep improves episodic learning and alertness. Sleep, [online] 46(3). doi:https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/zsac305.
- Scott, A., Webb, T.L., Marrissa Martyn-St James, Rowse, G. and Weich, S. (2021). Improving sleep quality leads to better mental health: A meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Sleep Medicine Reviews, [online] 60, pp.101556–101556. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2021.101556.
- Hu, R., Jiang, X., Hegadoren, K. and Zhang, Y. (2015). Effects of earplugs and eye masks combined with relaxing music on sleep, melatonin and cortisol levels in ICU patients: a randomized controlled trial. Critical Care, [online] 19(1). doi:https://doi.org/10.1186/s13054-015-0855-3.
- Atye Babaii, Mohsen Adib-Hajbaghery and Hajibagheri, A. (2015). Effect of Using Eye Mask on Sleep Quality in Cardiac Patients: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Nursing and midwifery studies, [online] 4(4). doi:https://doi.org/10.17795/nmsjournal28332.
- Rusch, H.L., Michael Del Rosario, Levison, L.M., Olivera, A., Livingston, W.S., Wu, T. and Gill, J. (2018). The effect of mindfulness meditation on sleep quality: a systematic review and meta‐analysis of randomized controlled trials. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, [online] 1445(1), pp.5–16. doi:https://doi.org/10.1111/nyas.13996.
- Garbarino, S., Lanteri, P., Nicola Luigi Bragazzi, Magnavita, N. and Egeria Scoditti (2021). Role of sleep deprivation in immune-related disease risk and outcomes. Communications biology, [online] 4(1). doi:https://doi.org/10.1038/s42003-021-02825-4.
- O’Byrne, N.A., Yuen, F., Butt, W.Z. and Liu, Y. (2021). Sleep and circadian regulation of cortisol: A short review. Current Opinion in Endocrine and Metabolic Research, [online] 18, pp.178–186. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coemr.2021.03.011.
- Goyal, M., Singh, S., Sibinga, E., Gould, N.F., Rowland-Seymour, A., Sharma, R., Berger, Z., Sleicher, D., Maron, D.D., Shihab, H.M., Ranasinghe, P.D., Linn, S.T., Saha, S., Bass, E.B. and Haythornthwaite, J.A. (2014). Meditation Programs for Psychological Stress and Well-being. JAMA Internal Medicine, [online] 174(3), pp.357–357. doi:https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.13018.
- Song, I., Kyung Seon Baek, Kim, C. and Song, C. (2023). Effects of nature sounds on the attention and physiological and psychological relaxation. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, [online] 86, pp.127987–127987. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2023.127987.
- Anon, (2023). Mental Health – Household Pulse Survey – COVID-19. [online] Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/covid19/pulse/mental-health.htm.